• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could Windows Logon be a better stress test than Prime95??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMDGuy

Last night while testing my replacement digital temp probe I let the PC boot up and went to take the dog out. When I came back it was at my network logon screen and the temp on the digital lcd read 49.0 C. This was higher than I have ever seen Prime95 temps. Could the logon screen be a better CPU stress test??

Any thoughts??

it sounds like a blurb to me, but that is unusual. Was your ambient temps a lot higher than normal?

Prime95 Sucks at getting your PCU hot. CPUBurn (BurnBX and BurnMMX) are designed to make your max temp while prime will check for errors.

41C Prim95, 45C BurnBX

William (Jun 29, 2001 08:37 a.m.):
it sounds like a blurb to me, but that is unusual. Was your ambient temps a lot higher than normal?

Hoot noticed the same phenomenon. No ambient temps were not different.

I use the CPU Stability tester found here which has a CPU warming option. I've run it simultaneously with a 16 bot server of Unreal Tournament in a window or the Sandra burn in wizard and the temps don't get any higher than running CPU Stability tester alone so I guess it works well.

Don't forget you can use TweakUI to enter that network logon info for you so your PC can boot completely unattended.

Len (Jun 29, 2001 01:53 p.m.):
I use the CPU Stability tester found here which has a CPU warming option. I've run it simultaneously with a 16 bot server of Unreal Tournament in a window or the Sandra burn in wizard and the temps don't get any higher than running CPU Stability tester alone so I guess it works well.

Don't forget you can use TweakUI to enter that network logon info for you so your PC can boot completely unattended.

Good suggestion on TWEAK UI. I haven't used that since I went to WinME. I'll see if it still works.

TweakUI works with WinME. I'm running it. Just search the net for the latest version to be sure you have the newest.

The poster with the long nickname was right. Burnk6.exe yields the highest temps of anything I've used. It does not do much error checking though. About all it can tell you is that if it crashes, your OC is not stable. ;D There is no better program for raising the temp. It is contained in a suite of programs on the front page here. Here's the link:

It came from Gabe over at Swiftech. He should know.

I swear that having halt-on-idle enabled even impacts the temps you get with Prime95 Torture. At the network logon screen, during boot, it is not enabled yet. That is the only plausible explanation I can think of as to why it causes such high temps. It's sure not doing much, at that point, in the way of processing. A useful conundrum.

Hoot

Back