• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Couple H2O questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
First off, I seem to be losing water in my sealed inline system. It's very slow, maybe a few milliliters a day. Don't have a leak anywhere that I can identify. Just opened my case today, for the first time in a month and noticed I had lost all the water in my fill tube and the water is milky because it has air in the system.

I added some water to the fill tube, so I know it will be ok, but, does anyone else have this problem of water mysteriously evaporating?

Secondly, my water is a little brownish. I use Water Wetter and distilled water, but it looks like I've got a little funk growing in there. Is there anything I can add to the water to kill that stuff off and clean the water, or do I need to drain the system entirely and start over?

If I do need to drain the system and redo it. Do I need to clean the system thoroughly? What can I use to clean it? I remember reading somewhere that some guy used CLR to clean his system, but I kinda want to know more about various methods and cleaning strategies.

Rakk

What metals does your system use? Ie what tubing does your radiator have and what is your block made from? The reason I ask is because you may have some corrosion as a result of using 2 different metals in your system (copper block with alu radiator for example). This can cause coolant to appear a yucky brown colour.

Also, even though you think you don't, you may have a small leak. A tiny drip in an area of your system that's warm will quickly evaporate.

In theory you shouldn't lose any noticable amount of water at all over a period of a month in a closed loop system so it must be going somewhere.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
I agree, you MUST have a tiny leak somewhere - It is also easier for stuff to grow if there is a leak... In an airtight system no evaporation should occur, a leak is the ONLY answer.

Rakk

Aye, air in the system for any length of time would cause discoloration of the coolant.

If I were you I would remove the water cooling system from the PC and thoroughly leak test it in the bath or similar place.

OP
C

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
I previously ran the system with tap water and had problems with creppy crawlies. That's where I assume they got in the system to begin with. Now, there here, even though I drained and refilled the system with Distilled Water and Water Wetter.

EDIT: I think I found it. The intake of the pump is a little wet and slimy. I'll probably have to take it apart and redo it. I use an Eheim 1048. I replaced those crummy plastic intakes and outtakes with Brass hose barbs. Problem was, I think the pump was threaded with some kind of metric thread. The hose barbs were US thread, so they weren't a perfect fit, although very close. I used Teflon tape on them, but it didn't seal the intake too well, it seems.

Last edited:

masitti

I've heard that sometimes you can have air leaks - where air leaks in the setup but water doesn't come out.

If that is the case, your reservoir/t-line is trying to bubble it out while air keeps coming in, thus you start losing water.

OP
C

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
Well, I took the system out to the kitchen table for some further inspection. Turns out that the impeller shaft itself has a tiny leak, probably caused by me screwing in the brass hose barb. I'll get a clamp and some neoprene on it in a few days. Until then, I've got it wrapped in duct tape:)

Rakk

Glad you found the problem though it sounds a little nasty if the leak is in the shaft.

OP
C

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
Fortunately, Eheim sells replacement parts, so I think I can get another impeller assembly, if I can't fix this.