• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Couple questions about larger HDD's & Testing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magnetic

Disabled
I only own notebook systems and am looking at getting a couple of the Westerndigital 2TB Green Drives and my concerns are:

-Are they reliable enough to use them as sole storage devices? i was looking at getting 2 or 3 of them one for movies & music storage than the second for the back up of that and the 3rd for general storage for data transfer, backing up my system files, etc. ... good idea or?

-Is there a good way to do a detailed error scan on them if iam using a firewire/usb enclosure...it has eSata but i dont have an eSata port on my notebooks or an express card slot to get a eSata add-on.

cyberfish

Of all the current drives on the market, only the Seagate 7200.11 series has known reliability problems.

That said, backup is still a must, if the data is important. All harddrives (and all other storage devices for that matter) fail. I've had about 3 drives fail (develop bad sectors) on me over the last few years, from just about all brands.

Green drives are okay, just a little slower, but that won't matter if you are using them in an enclosure - they will be limited by the enclosure interface anyways.