• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Couple questions regarding GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

1) Overclocking.
I wanted to ask that whenever you OC or even down clock, without adjusting the Voltage, will it affect the Temperature and Power Consumption ( In Wattage ) ?
Do one need to actually adjust the Voltage when OCing ?
If the card is running at too low Core / Memory Clock Speed will it cause problems like crashing and such ( Of course though your FPS will be lesser in games that I know for sure )

2) Tessellation on AMD Cards
Lately I found out that people claimed that AMD cards is weaker when comes to Tessellation graphics compared to NVIDIA , is this even true or even possible?
How so does one find out or even prove such a thing, is it via Benchmark or is it possible just by reading the specs of both AMD card and NVIDIA's , but isn't it
usually it's indeterminable which card actually is better just by comparing spec sheets since both cards runs very differently ?

3) Refreshing GPU ???? I think ???
Recently my friend had a crash with his PC , when he boot up there's no signal to the monitor.
So I've asked him to tried to remove his GPU from his Mobo and installing it back and it works !
Just exactly what do this do ? by removing and re-installing back the GPU it's kinda like clearing CMOS or something? ( No he didn't re-install GPU Drivers )

1. Yes, but a lot less than if you added/removed voltage.
2. I wouldn't look that deep into it honestly. There are tessellation heavy benchmarks though where they can gather that information. Unigine Heaven/Valley being two of them.
3. Kind of like resetting it, yes.

3 could be static buildup or even the pc just needing shut off completely for a full reset

No it wont. Modern cards commonly clock down pretty low when idle/ or using 2D.

Now you mentioned it ! Damn only notice your right , what a dumb question I've asked lol. As during Idle / at Desktop or basically non 3D activities my card actually runs only at 300 Core and 150 Memory lol.
How can I've look past that...I sounded so stupid now lol....Tks for the replies though.

This pretty much cover up everything. Tks again. Looking forward to AMD's new 390X wonder how much of a jump from the current 290X

Back