• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED cpu 8 pin+cpu 4 pin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I am building a 6800K rig that I plan to overclock to around 4.2-4.4 ghz, this rig will run loaded many days in a row at times with some software that is all about cores AND threads.
this cpu is 140 watts at default, so I figure it will draw around 160 watts or more.

do I really NEED to run both the cpu 8 pin and the cpu 4 pin cables?
I know that I SHOULD run both, being the worlds biggest AMD fanbouy, I know.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly the 8 pin connector is rated for somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 watts. You should be ok with just the 8 pin for this application. Can I inquire why you do not just use them both though?

FYI, I run my [email protected]/1.32v 24/7, which draws roughly 200w at those freq/voltage. I ran Aida and RealBench for hours without issue with only the 8pin connector. Doing quite a lot of encoding as well using Adobe Media converter.

Edit: I believe the extra 4 pin might be useful when going cold on heavy benchmarks like CB or XTU.

If I remember correctly the 8 pin connector is rated for somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 watts. You should be ok with just the 8 pin for this application. Can I inquire why you do not just use them both though?

I am building in a huge, open case that gives you no help what so ever with wire management and... well, it's getting tight and messy, REAL fast.

I was pushing 5820k up to 5.7GHz on 8 pin and I've never had any issues. If you can then just connect additional 4 pin but if it causes any issues then just run this rig without it.
Right now I have [email protected] 24/7 on 8 pin and there are no issues.

You won't need the extra power on ambient cooling. I dont plug it even for giggles unless I'm going cold. Even then I didn't have an issue when I forgot to plug it in. There isn't a 'should' about it for ambient honestly. No need. :)

thank you for the info.
this kit comes with the 4 pin cpu power harness as 4pin+4 pin, so that cable adds 8 wires to the cable runs so I'll just delete it.

Thanks guys.

Back