• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU-area buzzes when playing games, blacks out after a few minutes.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kflee

Hi! I was trying to figure out a problem with my desktop lately, and I figured this place was as good as any to ask around.

My problem is that my computer starts buzzing or whining around the CPU when I start up Counter Strike GO or any other 'demanding' game. A few moments later my screen blacks out. My computer is still 'on' [the fans are running, but my mobo's CPU FAIL LED is on] and the only way to turn it off is to shut off the PSU completely.

If I run the AIDA64 stress test, my computer is fine and there's no whining. But the moment I get into a game, it's starts to buzz and will crash.

I've tried memtesting the memory [I bought a second pair just to check if it was the RAM, and it isn't.] I've tried all combinations of RAM slots just to check the slots, that didn't work either. I've moved my GPU around to different slots, tried unplugging a ton of stuff and even plugged my computer to a different outlet. I've tried updating to the latest bios and drivers as well as underclocking the computer. Even cleaned it with an airblast can.

Nothing works.

My temperatures are really, really low. I have like 5 fans in my machine. GPU ~ 50-60 degrees when playing demanding games, and my CPU never goes above ~22 degress.

Any ideas?

If it helps, I'll post a video recording me trying to crash the computer.

---

My build:

CPU: AMD FX 8120 3.1GHz AM3+ 16MB 8-Core Processor
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2 AM3+ ATX Mainboard using BIOS Rev 2103
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2x4) PC3-15000 DDR3 Memory Kit + RipJaws 1866 RED for a total of 16gb
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 1TB 7200RPM 64MB 3.5" SATA3 HDD
GPU: Zotac GF GTX660 Ti 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Video Card, latest drivers
PSU: Corsair HX-Series 750 Watt Power Supply

Running Windows 7.

List your CPU cooling solution first. 22C is pretty cool, so to state that it never goes above that seems a little weird especially if you're putting on some some application demand. And is the CPU properly seated and a good TIM used? My first thoughts.......:confused:

I had a similar sort of sound (I think, buzzing under load) and it was bad power management on the motherboard. Ended up RMAing it and it went away.

Back