• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU choice for specific tasks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Schlotkins

Registered
Hi there-

I'm doing a ton of work with financial data and modeling and I'm looking for the best solution. Most of the tough stuff is either in Excel or custom C++ code that involves a lot of computations/if's/loops etc. I do some personal media stuff on the side, but nothing too serious, so that's a secondary concern.

This sounds like stuff AMD chips would be better at, but I just want to make sure. Since the code is custom (and only for me), I could use a SSE2 specific compiler for some PIV optimization. (Using Visual C++ now.. not sure if something else is better...)

Thanks for any help,
Schloktins

OP
S

Schlotkins

Registered
Hm

Really... I thought AMDs were better at branch prediction so things like this would be better for AMD chips versus media work which needs a lot of bandwidth. Interesting...

You say you do programming and compiling? A intel will HyperThreading will DEFINETLY NO DOUBT help you there. Also it will also be very fast in video editing etc.

From everything you described here, intel looks like your best bet. Sure you may loose some fps in some games with a intel proccessor but you will looser TONS of time using a amd proccessor to compile and vide encode

JimmyFox

AMD should be the best choice for you. Faster FPU and increased L1 cache does the trick. I would recommend a Barton 2500+. It has great overclocking potential and it is quite cheap. But if you want raw proccessing power, then go to Athlon64. But it is still quite early for that.

With less than €300 you can have a really fast computer to suit your needs.

Hope this helped.

.e n v y

I agree with unix and linux.
The Intel HT technology will prove more useful to you for the tasks you mentioned than what AMD has to offer.

JimmyFox said:
AMD should be the best choice for you. Faster FPU and increased L1 cache does the trick. I would recommend a Barton 2500+. It has great overclocking potential and it is quite cheap. But if you want raw proccessing power, then go to Athlon64. But it is still quite early for that.

With less than €300 you can have a really fast computer to suit your needs.

Hope this helped.

Sorry but the FPU wont help in video editing and the compiling like intel ht will. Sure it will help in games by a few fps more than intel but as the guy said, he needs it for video editing and compiling so intel with ht is the best solution.

OP
S

Schlotkins

Registered
Well, compile time isn't too much of a problem and video editting is secondary. Pretty much it's just blasting through millions of computations. I don't have great luck with chips (I have a 2.4c PIV right now that o/c'd so bad I just put it at stock) so I don't think I want to depend on o/cing to make the difference. I guess if some had a 3.5 o/c chip to sell me, then maybe. :)

Schlotkins

Then go with an AMD, dont forget to spent 30 dollars atleast on cooling it and dont forget to turn up the air condition in the room because ur room will feel like a heater when cpu usage is at 100%. Also if you go get a via chipset for the amd cpu, be prepared to face unstableness and if u get nforce be prepared to face no pci lock

OP
S

Schlotkins

Registered
huh?

I didn't say I was going AMD... my guess is I can probably make it even if I use the right compiler. I don't mind spending an extra 100$, but I'm not going with an EE - that's for sure. It's just a dead heat at this point so I'll just go with the best deal..

Schlotkins

Dont go with EE or FX51...they both are overhyped/overpriced...just get a p4 2.4 with hyperthreading or a barton 2500+. Youll be happy with either but u will compile and video edit faster on the p4 2.4ghz.

Tawcan

Registered
unix and linux said:
Dont go with EE or FX51...they both are overhyped/overpriced...just get a p4 2.4 with hyperthreading or a barton 2500+. Youll be happy with either but u will compile and video edit faster on the p4 2.4ghz.

What he said. Don't pay for something that's over-priced and the software industry hasn't taken full advantage of the hardware technology.

ProBoner

unix and linux said:
Then go with an AMD, dont forget to spent 30 dollars atleast on cooling it and dont forget to turn up the air condition in the room because ur room will feel like a heater when cpu usage is at 100%. Also if you go get a via chipset for the amd cpu, be prepared to face unstableness and if u get nforce be prepared to face no pci lock

Holy **** are you ever ingorant!
You wrote this in another thread: "I have a 2000+ Pally and with the SLK-900(A) and FULL SPEED BLAST RPM Tornado i get max load temps of 51 celcius. And it has artic ceramique on it btw."

Right there I can see you don't know what the fu(k you're doing! I have a cheapo TT heatsink/sf2 setup in a fairly small standard case with a *******ly hot 9800pro A-I-W and my CPU temps never even hit 50C with prime95 anymore running at 2.2ghz :rolleyes:

Last edited:

stamasd

unix and linux said:

Huh?

My AXP 2500+ Barton doesn't feel like a heater when o/c to 2310MHz. I actually had to turn the heat a bit up because the winter is really starting to hit here. :)

And I don't know where you got your information on Via and nForce chipsets either. I have a KT600 based motherboard and it's rock stable at 210x11; also, the nForce2 chipset DOES have AGP and PCI locks.

Anaxagoras1986

UNix and Linux: Where do you get this information? I havent heard of problems with the locks and if it was so bad I dont think people would buy them!!! Furthermore, the new P4s are not that cool as far as temperature goes!

stamasd

IMHO he must have read that article about nForce3 boards that apparently don't have a PCI lock, and probably thinks that nForce2 doesn't have it either. :)

Gnufsh

unix and linux said:
I wasn't aware that compiling was faster on the P4. I certainally imagine that it would depend on the compilier. Do you have any benchmarks to support this?

Yes i have personal experience.
I wrote the "famous seconds calculator(small bench mark tool)" in java and visual basic. Compiling took very little time(we are talking in nanoseconds) on my p4 with HT. On my amd, visual basic took nanoseconds, however the same java compiler took 2 seconds.

The java compiler i used was the JDK1.4 from sun java and the visual basic editor was Visual Studio from Microsoft.

It is also proved by many programmers that HT helps tons in compiling programs. Any questions?

MetalStorm

unix and linux said:

LOL, the other people have already summed up what I was going to say, but if you are going to try and insult something, at least get some facts first - as apposed to random useless comments made up out of thin air...

On a more relevant note:
I was under the impression that L1 cache was much appreciated when it came to compiling code... and the AMD chips have 8 times the L1 cache, though I would like to see benchmarks to back this up.