• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU choice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrksha

Registered
I have p4 1.6A @2.4 and asus p4s333.Now it`s time to upgrade but being a student make my budget pretty tight.
I was thinking of getting p4 2.4B hoping that I can come close to 3GHz.Now 1.8A C1 appears to be even better overclocker,so I`m not sure what to buy anymore .

All recommendations regarding mobo are welcome.I read too many bad things about asus p4s8x so this time I might go with intel.I`m considering abit BE7 Raid ,asus p4pe and msi 648max(I know, sis again but what can I do... agp8X is tempting).

Thanks.

SmellyDraws

Registered
I think that I have seen only one C1 1.8. There are still not enough to guarantee that you will get one. The 2.26 is about the same price as the 2.4B. I say that you go with the 2.26, it is a very good overclocker and I think that that will be your best bet. Also I believe Intel has plans on a price cut on the 17th on Novemver so you may want to wait til then and see what happens.

batboy

Senior Moment
Looks like your system is currently far better than average. Why not wait another 2-3 weeks for the holiday price drop? With the new 3.06 P-4 just released and AMD back into the competition, there will be some great price reductions during the very near future. Besides, don't you want to get a new hyperthreading CPU in addition to the C1 stepping?

TheNEWB

Wait, wait!

Until November 17, save your dollars.

I have the 2.4b, with the V mod i get this B|ATCH to run way past 3.2 Stable, but i run it at 2.97 because my Corsiar 3200 craps out past 220Mhz DDR. 440 with 2-6-3-3 at 3:4 mem ratio. I find I also get higher 3dmarks when using higher mem bandwith as opposed to higher clock cycles.

The thing is it screams in windows at 3.06 and slows down past 3.06, like as if Hyper Threading was enabled at that particular speed??? Some weird stuff huh?

Well my advice, get a MALAYSIA chip with an SL6EU ending. Iz what i have :burn: :D :cool:

1st letter or digit=plant code

0=San Jose,Costa Rica
3=..............,Costa Rica
1=Cavite,Philippines
R=Manila,Philippines
7=..........,Philippines
9=Penang,Malaysia
Q=...........,Malaysia
L=............,Malaysia
8=Leixlip,Ireland
Y=Leixlip,Ireland
6=Chandler,Arizona

Example:L149A463-0726

L=plant (Malay)

2nd digit=Year of production (2001)

3rd & 4th digits=week (49th week )

(A463)=some kind of traceability number

(0726)=Serialization code

^^^^^^^ Thanks TASOS.

You can run this chip at 1:1 with 166 DDR very and i mean very stable, saving your self major cash on mem and CPU.

God Speed my friend in your OC journey.

Kam

[email protected]

Re: Wait, wait!

kamilkluczewski said:
Well my advice, get a MALAYSIA chip with an SL6EU ending. Iz what i have

Iz what i have too, but it never made it past 2916.
I was still happy with that level of OC - 'till I flashed my BIOS, that is.
Now I can't even claim stability @2880... (See my post on the subj.)

What core voltage are you using to sustain 3.06 & are you using non-std cooling gear
(as in liquid nitrogen ;))? My results (or lack of) are based on 1.7V (1.8V c/o ASUS),
the std cooler & non-modded fan (2400rpm). Temp @load <50C.

cu,

FIZZ3

Re: Wait, wait!

kamilkluczewski said:
Until November 17, save your dollars.

I have the 2.4b, with the V mod i get this B|ATCH to run way past 3.2 Stable, but i run it at 2.97 because my Corsiar 3200 craps out past 220Mhz DDR. 440 with 2-6-3-3 at 3:4 mem ratio. I find I also get higher 3dmarks when using higher mem bandwith as opposed to higher clock cycles.

The thing is it screams in windows at 3.06 and slows down past 3.06, like as if Hyper Threading was enabled at that particular speed??? Some weird stuff huh?

Well my advice, get a MALAYSIA chip with an SL6EU ending. Iz what i have :burn: :D :cool:

^^^^^^^ Thanks TASOS.

You can run this chip at 1:1 with 166 DDR very and i mean very stable, saving your self major cash on mem and CPU.

God Speed my friend in your OC journey.

Kam

Well you got less than 600Mhz from that chip, after that it either "slows down" or doesn't run stable (supposedly due to ram, but have you checked that in a different system?). I wouldn't be so quick to recommend your particular batch/plant chip to others. I'm not trying to knock your rig, but this guy said he was on a budget and a 2.4B is still pricey for a student who already runs 2.4Ghz OCed at this time. A mere 600Mhz 'possible' overclock doesn't seem worthy to me at least.

My advice would be to wait until stock speeds go above 3Ghz and OCed speeds close in on 4Ghz. An upgrade at that time would maek much more sense.

[email protected]

Re: Re: Wait, wait!

FIZZ3 said:
A mere 600Mhz 'possible' overclock doesn't seem worthy to me at least.

Ah... a mere 600HMz...?

Wow, Fizzz, you certainly have high expectations from your gear.
IMHO, an increment of 28% is nothing to sneeze at.

Looking at your specs, I see you managed to get 34% more horses
out of your CPU, a well above average figure!

I am pleased with any product (be it CPU, GPU) etc. that will manage a
25% increase.

Which means I would be happy with a 2.4b that could do 3GHz - more than happy
(doesn't mean I won't try to coax a few % more out of it ;))

In terms of our upgrader who's already @2.4, you do have a point. As for me,
it wasn't an issue going from a P3 866 @1040 to a [email protected] because that
upgrade represented a 177% increase :D

cu,

FIZZ3

Re: Re: Re: Wait, wait!

Ah... a mere 600HMz...?

Wow, Fizzz, you certainly have high expectations from your gear.
IMHO, an increment of 28% is nothing to sneeze at.

Looking at your specs, I see you managed to get 34% more horses
out of your CPU, a well above average figure!

I am pleased with any product (be it CPU, GPU) etc. that will manage a
25% increase.

Which means I would be happy with a 2.4b that could do 3GHz - more than happy
(doesn't mean I won't try to coax a few % more out of it ;))

In terms of our upgrader who's already @2.4, you do have a point. As for me,
it wasn't an issue going from a P3 866 @1040 to a [email protected] because that
upgrade represented a 177% increase :D

cu,

As you indicated yourself already- what I said stands in the context of this upgrade choice. When one buys a new P4 system to upgrade a sub-Ghz rig (like you did and I also) there are a lot of options. Some include going for a 1.6 or 1.8 and get crazy 50%+ overclocks, others mean buying a solid 133Mhz stock unit like the 2.4B and settling for 20%. The choice is there because there is no previous significant investment.

So as you see, in some cases a small relative overclock or 600Mhz can be worth the effort. In this case, the guy would be buying a 2.4B and getting 600Mhz (not even guaranteed) for the money. Presenting it like that is a hell of a deal or like it is highly recommended struck me as odd.

As for myself, I went from an [email protected] to this 2.0A @ 2.66 because the overclock just seemed so elegant to me at a time when the 2.53 was the max buyable. =)

oops

do NOT get a 2.4B.

Some people's 2.4B may did well on OC.

But MINE, cannot even do 2.6GHZ stable even with vmod. My 1.8A in same system can do 2.565GHZ stable. So, you see now?

[email protected] is good enough. I don't see any reason for you to upgrade. Wait another half year or something like that.

OP
M

mrksha

Registered
Thank you for replies guys.

Actually I plan to upgrade my brother`s celeron rig so I`m gonna give him my good old 1.6 northy.

I`m about to build my new main rig with a somewhat faster cpu and better mobo.

If the HT can be enabled on 2.4B then I`ll buy it,otherwise I`ll get 2.26