• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Christmas anti-miracle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bageland2000

ok so i just posted a previous thread aobut a 3.0ghz processor. Now I have another problem. I have an intel 865perl mobo and a 478pin with an xp-90 w/artic silver 5. I took the heatsink off the board and when I did the cpu was actually torn out of the motherboard! I guess that artic silver 5 is more sticky than the other stuff that I use. now I checked the cpu and a few of the pins are bent. Not to mention the retention lever on the mobo is stilll in the locked position. As if things couldn't get worse, i got some thermal compound on the pins!!!!!! what a nighmare. So do you guys think im looking at a ruined mobo, cpu, or both? if the cpu is fixable how should I go about getting the compound off the cpu? should I attempt to bend the pins back into place? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head

Killaapp

Hey there, I have actually had that happen to me before when I was working on my friends Asus motherboard with a 3.0c. I applied AS Ceramique (spelling) and a zalman 7000alcu. Long story short I had to take the zalman off and the cpu popped right out with it leaving the lever still in the locked position.

None of the pins bent in my situation though. The put the cpu back in the socket and everything is still working fine to this day. I don't know what to say about the bent pins but I can tell you that there is nothing too wrong with pulling the cpu out of the socket with the hsf.

Eldonko

Revolutionary Mule
Bend the pins back with a credit card or a mechanical pencil, VERY CAREFULLY. You can clean the paste off the pins with acetone and a soft tooth brush.

OP
Bageland2000

Bageland2000

ok ill try that. If you read my other post the cpu was actually a dud from ebay to begin with so to be honest I'm not to worried about the cpu, just the mobo. Thanks

btw what is acetone???

batboy

Senior Moment
Old style fingernail polish remover was mostly acetone. Some of the newer stuff don't have it though. Alcohol on a Q-tip will probably work too, but will take longer. Pins can be straightened, but be very careful. I've pulled up the CPU before too. Now I give the heatsink a slight twist before pulling it up to break the suction. It won't hurt the mobo unless you broke a pin off and it's still stuck in the socket.

Last edited:

jcw122

It's happened many times before, even to myself. First, just relax and figure out how to bend the pins back.

3DFlyer

Banned
Go down to Lowe's and get you some Acetone. That stuff will wash that TIM off real nice an easy. it's what I use. I use it for lots of other things to. You'll really like how easily it just melts that stuff off. It really cuts the stuff. If you use a mechanical pencil the pins will straighten easily. Be *very* careful. Hope you get her fixed. Even if you don't want to use the CPU, it would be good to fix it so you could at least sell it.

Don't be alarmed man. Alot of people have had that happen and it's no big deal. I had that happen on an AMD one time. Scarred the **** out of me until I realized nothing happened to the CPU at all. It made a heck of a mournful raquet though when it jumped out. hehe

OP
Bageland2000

Bageland2000

alright, old cpu in, everything is fine. the thermal compound came off fine with the rubbing alcohol and the pins bent back nicely with the mechanicle pencil. Thanks guys

Dan Derrig

yeah, I got Arctic Silver on my Celeron 478 pins. I used a credit card to cut a line, sort of, in the arctic silver between the pins so it didn't short any of the pins. It works fine now.

BTW, what happens if you get thermal compound in one of the little holes on the 775... lol.

JCLW

Dan Derrig said:
BTW, what happens if you get thermal compound in one of the little holes on the 775... lol.
They're not actually holes - the pads are flush with the surface of the package, so you can just wipe stuff off.

Thermal goop on the motherboard pins could be a pain 'tho.