• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Cooler Question (775)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baris_

Hello,

I currently have a Q9550 on P5QL-CM Socket 775 motherboard. I want to buy a cooler for it and I'm hanging between the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and the Xigmatek S1283. The reason for this post is to see which one will fit my case best (or neither).

I have the antec 1200 and I had a great idea that I could have a heatsink with an exhaust fan on it that blows air upwards. So that the air is blown into the TriCool 200mm exhaust fan. To me this seems like a great idea, but is one of these capable of being mounted in that way, that the fan on it is aiming upwards? Is that possible?

I checked out an S1283 mounting video here:
and it seems like his fan is either aiming towards his RAM or aiming to the opposite of the RAM. This is either to the front or to the rear, am I correct?

If this is even possible, on which HSF's is this possible?

Thanks in advance

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Either one will fit just fine. It all boils down to how much do you want to spend on the sink. The Xigmatek is a very good sink for the price. The CM Hyper is also a good sink but, will cost more.

OP
B

baris_

Either one will fit just fine. It all boils down to how much do you want to spend on the sink. The Xigmatek is a very good sink for the price. The CM Hyper is also a good sink but, will cost more.

Money isn't the issue here. The issue is that I want a HSF where I am able to mount it in a way that the fan is aiming upwards. Towards the ceiling of the case. Right into the 200mm exhaust fan.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Money isn't the issue here. The issue is that I want a HSF where I am able to mount it in a way that the fan is aiming upwards. Towards the ceiling of the case. Right into the 200mm exhaust fan.

Nope. No way of doing that as the sink's base & the mounting bracket is designed to to be mounted vertically and the fan placed in the front (right side of sink) will be pushing the air towards the back to the rear of the case.

Most, if not all, of the new aftermarket sinks now are designed that way.

OP
B

baris_

Nope. No way of doing that as the sink's base & the mounting bracket is designed to to be mounted vertically and the fan placed in the front (right side of sink) will be pushing the air towards the back to the rear of the case.

Ah kk, perhaps I said too much which made it confusing what the actual question was. Thanks a lot. I will then obviously try to aim it into the rear fans as they are exhaust.

Thanks again.

OP
B

baris_

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
I did mention, in not so many words, it is possible depending on the sink:

"the sink's base & the mounting bracket is designed to to be mounted vertically and the fan placed in the front (right side of sink) will be pushing the air towards the back to the rear of the case.

"

Just gotta read into it. Next time I'll be a little more clearer for you. ;)

burebista what sink is that? Maybe baris_ can purchase that exact sink and mount it exactly like it's shown in the pic.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Hmm, see if measuring it (NB Sink) and measuring the cpu sink will allow clearance. Me thinks burebista can help you out in that department. ;)

I think it'll fit, but i'm just guessing as both NB sinks look to be the same width.

burebista

I'm not sure but it looks like it will fit. In that picture of that XS guy there are 38 mm thick fans so I guess that a regular 25 mm fan should be OK.

OP
B

baris_

Hmm, see if measuring it (NB Sink) and measuring the cpu sink will allow clearance. Me thinks burebista can help you out in that department. ;)

I think it'll fit, but i'm just guessing as both NB sinks look to be the same width.

Yes, I did some measurements and it should be able to fit. It's going to be very very tight though. I could measure space for about ~62mm and from the middle point on the chip it should be 60mm as the whole width is 120mm. But a slight mistake could already be fatal. But I think I did it well so I'm going to go for it. All there is now is to decide which one..

Cooler Master Hyper 212+ vs Xigmatek HDT-S1283

The hyper has slightly lower noise. It also supports 1156/1366 so never have to throw it away. It is €1,50 cheaper.

Xigmatek is smaller so it takes up less space. Slightly better performance, but according to http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2419&page=4 hardly noticable.

What do you guys think?

burebista

I just remember my picture when I put Ninja on my P5Q-E. :D

Ninja_p5qe.jpg

So I guess if Ninja fits my MB you'll be fine too with S1283 on your MB.

Ancient_1

The main problem I could see mounting pointing up would be clearance of tall ram sticks. The same problem I would have if I had all 6 slots filled on my DFI.

As for which way the sinks are designed for on Intels sockets since the 775 they can go all four directions since the mounting pattern is square. And from my experience the heatpipe sinks work best when the pipes are 90° to the core which on my i7 is a horizontal mount. The difference isn't large but does seem repeatable.

As for the chipset I don't think it will be a problem. On my P35 DFI the true had plenty of clearance for the height but did have one pipe that almost touched the very top of the sink and I would guess that most towers would have about the same clearance height wise and most would have more to the pipes like the Ziggy.

It looks to me that the DFI chipset HS is closer to the socket and maybe a little higher than the ones on that Asus board so I would guess that it should be fine for clearance in either direction.

Here are a couple shots of the DFI board I have experience with.

DFI LP UT P35.JPG

DFI LP UT P35-1.JPG

OP
B

baris_

The main problem I could see mounting pointing up would be clearance of tall ram sticks. The same problem I would have if I had all 6 slots filled on my DFI.

As for which way the sinks are designed for on Intels sockets since the 775 they can go all four directions since the mounting pattern is square. And from my experience the heatpipe sinks work best when the pipes are 90° to the core which on my i7 is a horizontal mount. The difference isn't large but does seem repeatable.

As for the chipset I don't think it will be a problem. On my P35 DFI the true had plenty of clearance for the height but did have one pipe that almost touched the very top of the sink and I would guess that most towers would have about the same clearance height wise and most would have more to the pipes like the Ziggy.

It looks to me that the DFI chipset HS is closer to the socket and maybe a little higher than the ones on that Asus board so I would guess that it should be fine for clearance in either direction.

Here are a couple shots of the DFI board I have experience with.

Thanks for the great reply. Well, would you think it is smart to mount it in that way that it blows the hot air upwards straight into the 200mm exhaust fan?

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Actually it doesn't matter which way it's mounted, as either the 200mm top fan or the rear 120mm fan will pull the hot air away from it ;)