• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu cooler replacement (Looking for some feed back)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NightDreamer

Greetings, I'm nightdreamer i decided to register here, mostly due to i was looking for a place where, I could find affordable solutions for replacing my Blue orb 2 Cpu cooler with one that will reduce my temps down to at least 30c My blue orb 2 is currently running at 50-53c (idle) 60-73c (20% load), this is after a recent bio's update to my XFX 780I mother board before the update it was still fairly high (46-48c idle, 60-65c (load)
My ram was running at 800 mhz, i decided i would try 1066 my ram was rated at 1200 mhz but earlier, i made the fatal mistake on over clocking to 1220 and well it did not post :( (fixed that by resetting the cmos)

But this might be the cause a few extra degrees in cpu temp but my cpu fan is failing anyway, so might as well replace it with a better suited cpu cooler for overclocking, I'm looking into new cpu coolers to lower my temps down to a fairly low level while allowing me to overclock my cpu to at least 3.1 (rather then 2.66)

Currently here is some cooling selections, i have considered but i'm not fully updated on the recently released or new coolers in 2010-11, the socket type of my motherboard is LGA 775 my cpu is q9450.
My case is the XCLIO A380, so far the air flow is pretty good for this case.

Now for the short list of cpu coolers, i was thinking of.

XIGMATEK Dark Knight, seems like a pretty good replacement for my cpu cooler but kind of researching about it. there might be better air cpu coolers for lower or same price?

Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler, Quite expensive, huge but i do have a tower case, so it should fit. (plus, i can't risk getting a uneven cooler reported in some reviews)

I would love to see some alternates to this cpu fan that are suited for overclocking as the Megahalems a bit pricy and I'm unsure on the dark knight as well, i did read some reviews on it but i have not read anything about more recent cpu coolers.

ok, lets wrap this up I hope you can give me some recommendations to consider rather then the 2 coolers, I'm looking at but so far leaning towards to dark knight :0

Last edited:
Dunno if there is any reason to drop CPU temps you currently have. How did you test the CPU at 20%?

I think your measuring proggy is a bit wonky as is the 20% thing...........

Please DL prime 95 and run small ffts for 15 min. Monitor temps.

Please DL Coretemp for AMD, Realtemp for Intel.

Mobos are BAD for monitoring temps, as is the crap software they supply.

So 15 min using Prime, and use the right proggy. If AMD, it climbs above 62C shut it down. If intel, shut it down at 72C.

Awaiting the use of proper tools....................

I just replaced a Xigmatek Balder with a Prolimatech Megahalems and saw my temps drop by 10c at load with the Xigmatek Fan mounted. The Dark Knight is based on the same design of the Balder, so I can't see its performance being too different. My Balder was having trouble coping with OC loads on my i7-950. I am very happy with my Megahalems, and would recommend it to anyone. I found mine open box at newegg for about $40. If you cant find a similar deal, I hear the Scythe Mugen rev. B is also an excellent cooler for around $40. A lot of people have had good experiences with the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. The Xigmatek Aegir has gotten good reviews, but I have no experience with it, nor have I heard from anybody who does.

Hope this helps.

Ethan

As for what tools, i have used for measuring temps was Real temp 3.60, Evga e-leet tuning utility and Core temp, Core temp is usually the highest.

Prime95 is too risky just 35-60 seconds in that the temp jumps to 71c easily, other note any kind of stress on the cpu or ram tends to make the temps sky rocket.

as for how i got it to test at 20-30% is playing a flash video :) at least acording to real temp it's 20-30%, my logitech keyboard says otherwise 2% => 9% in real temp, 5% => then 14%... soo it's odd.

Last edited:
What is your goal from this? You're aware that those chips are fine up to ~85C or so on a day to day basis and don't hit thermal shutdown till over 100C, right?

my goal is not to worry about hitting the safety limit of 115c like i mentioned my plan is to overclock my cpu from 2.66 to 3.1 currently, i have tested that setting on my current cpu cooler idling at 63c is bad any way you look at it and i do understand most retail cpus tend to go up to 85c, I try to keep the down as I'm not excepting to replace my pc any time soon.

For safety, i usually want to keep the temps below 76-80c. though 70 on a overclock setup is fairly common on heavy load. (usually 3.4 ghz even 3.8 ghz).

Well, the best valued cooler out there with good performance is the Hyper 212+, have you looked at that one, or do you want more performance than that?

I was reading about that, though it has mostly positive reviews and it seems like it will do the job for the overclock I'm going for. with the temp range reported by a few owners of 6600 being in the 30c. I read at least 10 of the 1-3 star reviews then anther 15 of the 5 star reviews then read on the cpu cooler reviews on the performance rating.

So, far it's looking good. while i certainly have a few options 30-60$ cpu coolers, yes hyper 212+ is a pretty good cooler. My preferable place to shop is newegg and amazon :) but i stick mostly to newegg.

if you want a good heatsink you'll have a hard time avoiding the specialty vendors.

As for what tools, i have used for measuring temps was Real temp 3.60, Evga e-leet tuning utility and Core temp, Core temp is usually the highest.

Prime95 is too risky just 35-60 seconds in that the temp jumps to 71c easily, other note any kind of stress on the cpu or ram tends to make the temps sky rocket.

as for how i got it to test at 20-30% is playing a flash video :) at least acording to real temp it's 20-30%, my logitech keyboard says otherwise 2% => 9% in real temp, 5% => then 14%... soo it's odd.

Aha, gotcha , thanks. We never know what is used on the other side of the keybaord. Yea something is really wrong.

Not really trying to avoid specialty vendors, i don't mind new brands as long as the company has a good history of honoring the warranty :)

But in general just looking for a cpu cooler that will allow me to overclock to 3.1 or higher, just looking for at coolers that will do a better job at cooling then my current one :)

Yes, so far the coolers you have shown me are quite interesting :), i might end up buying the Hyper 212+ to try it, ether way i got to remove my motherboard that's always a pain, so making sure the cooler hits the temps I'm going for with the ability to handle overclocked setups would be the best :)

Back