• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU cooling Noctua D14 sits a little angled, is that bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Maybe someone installed the fan backwards. Then they installed the heatsink. Then they discovered the fan was in backwards, and only THEN did they bend the heatsink, trying to get out the fan without uninstalling the D14. After that, they gave it up as a bad job and shipped it.

OP: Next time, build it yourself. We'll be here to give you encouragement. Just PM us to get our attention.

hehe, I sure will.
If this baby performs as hoped though, the next time will be in 5-6 years+

Maybe someone installed the fan backwards. Then they installed the heatsink. Then they discovered the fan was in backwards, and only THEN did they bend the heatsink, trying to get out the fan without uninstalling the D14. After that, they gave it up as a bad job and shipped it.

OP: Next time, build it yourself. We'll be here to give you encouragement. Just PM us to get our attention.

The D14 was bent toward the fan which is installed backward.

a-HA! They bent it forewards, trying to get at the mal-installed fan. When they couldn't, they bent the heatsink back and overcompensated . . .

a-HA! They bent it forewards, trying to get at the mal-installed fan. When they couldn't, they bent the heatsink back and overcompensated . . .

Speculations, and I do not think that has been the case.
I am trying to get a time and day next week to drive to them to have that fan fixed and they can then also take a look at the bottom of the CPU cooler, mainly the condition of the pipes.
According to them Fractal had the fans pre-mounted, but still, their builder should have noticed the error and fixed it and the CPU cooler should have been properly supported for transport.
All communication has gone pretty smooth, so acceptable on the customer service side, but these little details will currently only earn then 4 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot, with a good review text though.
We will see if they offer me something extra for the trouble and the drive to bring it to them. I am currently looking for a new mouse, lol
My old Adder is ½ way dead, DeathAdder... any laughs?

I am selecting to drive to them to avoid the lose in usage time and the possibility that the re-shipping will end up in other issues or maybe even the cooler bent again.
I am taking no chances, I rely too heavily on a working rig in the next months and to be without a rig for a week or even more is unacceptable.
Could I reinstall my old rig, yeah and spend a ton of time reconfiguring it and porting docs and other files back again, hell no.

Back