• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woodzy

I need to upgrade my cpu cooler, i am currently using the coolermaster v8 but it is not performing enough i want something better as my temps are high 50deg idle around 64deg on load this is with stock setting on cpu i do want to overclock so i need to upgrade anyone got any ideas?

xtreeme

Disabled
I need to upgrade my cpu cooler, i am currently using the coolermaster v8 but it is not performing enough i want something better as my temps are high 50deg idle around 64deg on load this is with stock setting on cpu i do want to overclock so i need to upgrade anyone got any ideas?

Why do you want to upgrade since you have choosen to run a low end performing setup anyway ?
That temperature is acceptable

OP
Woodzy

Woodzy

The max temp for my cpu is 62 deg and with it on stock setting and running at 64deg on load i can not push it so i need a better performing cooler,

so the temperature is not acceptable if i want to overclock like i stated in my first post

EDIT : after 3mins on prime temps under load hit 66deg

Last edited:

audioAl

Registered
Skythe Katana III

I just overclocked an AMD 4200+ from 2.2GHz to 2.8 GHz using the Katana III. My temps are 51c at idle. mainboard is cooler. The V8 is supposed to be a good cooler? Google the Katana, it's easy to install for an AMD processor.

OP
Woodzy

Woodzy

Screen of stock setting, idle + load temps

Skythe Katana III
I just overclocked an AMD 4200+ from 2.2GHz to 2.8 GHz using the Katana III. My temps are 51c at idle. mainboard is cooler. The V8 is supposed to be a good cooler? Google the Katana, it's easy to install for an AMD processor.

What are the temps underload?

Attachments

• cpuz.jpg
    cpuz.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 99
  • CoreTemp-Scr.png
    CoreTemp-Scr.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 99
  • CoreTemp-Scr2.png
    CoreTemp-Scr2.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 100

Conumdrum

I just can't imagine at stock it would run that hot with that cooler. You got the thermal paste on right? Cooler mounted right? Your case should have more than enough good airflow.

So lets figure this out before you go buy another cooler.

And watercooling starts at over $200 for just the CPU. Starts meaning it's easy to have a quality CPU loop at $300.

OP
Woodzy

Woodzy

I just can't imagine at stock it would run that hot with that cooler. You got the thermal paste on right? Cooler mounted right? Your case should have more than enough good airflow.

I have thermal paste on and i have remounted the cooler to check all is fine fan speed is on max i cant think of anything wrong with it in that sense?

Conumdrum

What thermal paste and did you clean the Tpaste off and reapply before remounting? What method of putting the paste on? Can you take a pic of the Tpaste on the chip when you take the cooler off?

If you know it's right and have been applying Tpaste for a long time your Tpaste is probably fine. Only you can know that.

It just shouldn't be that hot at stock. Is the CPU voltage higher than it should be?

tinymouse2

Sounds like the cooler isn't seated properly or you didn't apply the thermal paste correctly as Conumdrum said.

Just to make sure you know what to do. You need to clean it with alcohol to remove all dirt and all the old tpaste then add a VERY small dot (about 1/4 of the size of a pea) directly in the middle and then push the heatsink down onto the CPU. That should keep it nice n cool =)

OP
Woodzy

Woodzy

Arctic Silver Paste, i cpu was brand new out of a box so it had never had paste on it i applied it to the cpu just as you stated i have checked the cooler is mounted propely and that there is nothing stopping it sitting fine.

i have just checked voltage and it was at 1.4v so put it down to 1.325 the idle temp went down to around 43 - 42 deg put as soon as i start prime its straight up to around 60 deg

Well, you could check the base of the heatsink to see if it's concave or is rough so it's not making good contact with the cpu. Other than that as long as there's a decent amount of air moving across the fins I don't see how it could be defective. I doubt anything is wrong with the heatpipes since the temps would be a lot higher if there was something wrong with them.