• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Core or Surface Temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SlowBurn

I was just looking in the Bios of my Abit KD7, and I went into the PC Health section and there are 2 temps for my CPU. One says surface temp, and the other says core temp. Now my surface temps were at 37C, but my core temp was at 59C! Which one should I be paying attention to, and be worried about?

WarriorII

Moderator #666
Honestly, Core.
Core temp is the CPU itself.
Surface temp, ? sounds like insocket temp.
But I don't own an Abit mobo to be sure.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
gingo said:
Everyone goes by the surface temp... so use that.
That's like sticking your head in the sand, just cause everyone uses it does not make it right. Surface temps are crap, useless garbage that people like to wear around their necks for public display. I much rather no the TRUE temp of the core than some irrevelent number.

gingo

Yeah, but its the standard. Its like telling someone a measurement in millimeters when they are assuming its centimeters.

If he said his CPU temp was 59 C everyone would say its too high when really its just fine compared to their core temps. Almost everyone tells their CPU temp from the surface (default) temp.

UnWishedLegacy

with the temps like that i would assume that the "surface" temp is really the temps of his CASE.

what is the cooling like (including the AX-7 with Tornado fan)- i bet that with a bit of general case cooling- all your temps will drop.

if you can unplug your case fan (with 3pin header plug- normaly an exhaust) then look at your bios- you will preobably be looking at only one temp reading- your CPU temps.

I'm not an AMD or Abit user but this works with my MSI/P4 setup but it could be worth a try.

AntmanMike

Gingo - the surface temp is the temperature of the chip inside the motherboard socket. It is irrelevent, since the temperature that matters is the core temperature. Most people go by core temperature, and I don't understand why you don't understand that.

"If he said his CPU temp was 59 C everyone would say its too high when really its just fine compared to their core temps. Almost everyone tells their CPU temp from the surface (default) temp. "

He DID say his core temp was 59C, and that is what his CPU is running at! Seriously, before you make comments like that, please read, and make sure you know what you are talking about. I don't mean to be rude, I am just a little irate.