• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU degredation? OC to 4.5 and voltage questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alvehyanna

So I'm semi new to overclocking. Been reading.

I have a ASUS Maximus Rager VIII (z170) with a Skylake 6700K

I have lots of cooling. All fans, but I have an large coolmaster EVO and about 6 other case fans. 1 front, 1 back, 1 side, 1 behind processor, 2 top - more push then pull. Even when I was 4.6GHZ on load, I dont think I saw above 60C ever CPU temp. hung around 56 or 58.

REcently I updated from 1707 Bios to 2202 (or something like that). I'm suspicious my inability to be stable at 4.6 with default voltage OC is BIOS related...but meh.

When I first built the machine, more than 6 months ago, I used the 5-way optimization (AI Suite 3). Been very happy with it since. Ran cool (58C) and eveything was flawless at 4.6GHZ.

After update, I had to re-run it. The "percent boost" at boot was the same (33%) so I thought I got the same settings.

But then, I've had some instability. games that didn't crash, sometimes do (ESO and Planetside 2, mostly ESO) and when I do video render I get a BSOD reboot.

I was able to get it stable for rendering videos and gaming by boosting the voltage a tiny bit in TPU, but those are temporary settings I have to find a way to get them there in bios, it also took a bit over 1.42v to be stable it looks like.

I know automatted tuning isn't best, but I was really happy with my first go. And it got me in the door on getting some stable and seeing some numbers.

It is using Offset core voltage values (not adaptive)

Anyways, I figured for the life of my processor, I'd just manually go 4.5, offset and the LLC on Auto to bring it to 1.392v max under load while gaming and rendering.

I dont actually know what my lowest stable is. I guess that's what I should fine out huh? Take the CPU voltage off "Offset - Auto" and manually adjust voltage until I find what's stable? Then go back to Offset and either play with adjustment +/- numbers until I get there, or use the LCC level to decrease the cap?

I'm worried cause without 1.42-1.43v 4.6 isn't stable for me. And I've read concerns about processor degredation and life, with higher voltages. I'm only getting about 58C at 4.6ghz and 1.43v...which seems great, but I'm more concerned about processor life.

So now I'm at 4.5GHZ @ 1.39v max load and 100% stable seems fine by me, but I wonder if I'll get increased life if I try to get it to 1.35 or even lower or something.

(right now, semi-idle, it .8GHZ, and .8v and 34C)

Thanks in advance.

yes, higher voltage reduces cpu life, I just killed one running high vcore ( dang electron immigration) and light loads.

HM, I guess I'll just have to take it off "auto" offset and figure out what it needs to be cause I think it's that or the Auto LLC that is putting more juice in there than needed. I guess 1.392 wont be horrible for a bit until I can find the time.

So I'm semi new to overclocking. Been reading.

I have a ASUS Maximus Rager VIII (z170) with a Skylake 6700K

I have lots of cooling. All fans, but I have an large coolmaster EVO and about 6 other case fans. 1 front, 1 back, 1 side, 1 behind processor, 2 top - more push then pull. Even when I was 4.6GHZ on load, I dont think I saw above 60C ever CPU temp. hung around 56 or 58.

REcently I updated from 1707 Bios to 2202 (or something like that). I'm suspicious my inability to be stable at 4.6 with default voltage OC is BIOS related...but meh.

When I first built the machine, more than 6 months ago, I used the 5-way optimization (AI Suite 3). Been very happy with it since. Ran cool (58C) and eveything was flawless at 4.6GHZ.

After update, I had to re-run it. The "percent boost" at boot was the same (33%) so I thought I got the same settings.

But then, I've had some instability. games that didn't crash, sometimes do (ESO and Planetside 2, mostly ESO) and when I do video render I get a BSOD reboot.

I was able to get it stable for rendering videos and gaming by boosting the voltage a tiny bit in TPU, but those are temporary settings I have to find a way to get them there in bios, it also took a bit over 1.42v to be stable it looks like.

I know automatted tuning isn't best, but I was really happy with my first go. And it got me in the door on getting some stable and seeing some numbers.

It is using Offset core voltage values (not adaptive)

Anyways, I figured for the life of my processor, I'd just manually go 4.5, offset and the LLC on Auto to bring it to 1.392v max under load while gaming and rendering.

I dont actually know what my lowest stable is. I guess that's what I should fine out huh? Take the CPU voltage off "Offset - Auto" and manually adjust voltage until I find what's stable? Then go back to Offset and either play with adjustment +/- numbers until I get there, or use the LCC level to decrease the cap?

I'm worried cause without 1.42-1.43v 4.6 isn't stable for me. And I've read concerns about processor degredation and life, with higher voltages. I'm only getting about 58C at 4.6ghz and 1.43v...which seems great, but I'm more concerned about processor life.

So now I'm at 4.5GHZ @ 1.39v max load and 100% stable seems fine by me, but I wonder if I'll get increased life if I try to get it to 1.35 or even lower or something.

(right now, semi-idle, it .8GHZ, and .8v and 34C)

Thanks in advance.

2-pass X.264 is one of the best CPU testers! That will make it shut down with high core temps or crash if not set up properly!

went ahead and set CPU LLC to Level 4, and a Offset Power management with the value at -.035 give me 1.36v at max load. We'll see how stable that is. but I imagine it will be good for 4.5GHZ target clock.

Back