• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu dilema

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aeiou

I really want to upgrade my computer. Ive decided Which motherboard and cpu I want (I want the asrock mobo with the dual agp/pci express and an opteron 165). The problem is, as I'm sure you know, the opteron 165 is out of stock everywhere and I'm not sure wheather they will be back in stock, since I have heard rumors about them being discontinued (newegg doesn't even show them as out of stock anymore- just gone). I wondering What I should do here. I really want a dual core setup, but I think I have these options-
1)buy a cheap a64 or maybe opteron to hold me over untill I can get my hands on a 165
2)buy an x2 3800, possibly sell if/when 165 becomes available
3) wait for a 165

I'm just not quite sure. Anyone know what cpu cooler comes with the x2 3800? Is it that nice one that comes with the opterons? I though I saw some pictures to that effect. Any sugestions are welcome.

rseven

You will be best off waiting till after the holidays. There should be another price drop on the X2's then. As for the 165's, I think they are not going to come back.

OP
A

aeiou

Ok, think I've decided. I really would like something now, so I noticed that newegg still has some opteron 144's s939 available, so I think I'm going to oreder one of those tomorrow and maybe upgrade to dual core later. At least this way I'll have an opteron to play with and hopefully overclock. ;)