• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Fan airflow direction..What way?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pirate252

I bought a thermalright AX-7 with a sunon 83 CFM fan, man that thing could be used in a jet engine i swear, but i am wondering wheather to point the airflow direction up, away from the HS, or down, towards the HS. On the products web site it says somthing about being nice because the airflow would hit mobo components, and that got me thinking, becasue it seems like with that much airflow i would want to point it away where there would be the least resistance to that massive airflow, whats the real anwser here guys??

Thanks

Matt

Tmod

pirate252

Usually the fan will be blowing on the heatsink, The only exception that I know of would be the Alpha series of heatsinks.

spazzkid

the best way is to point it directly blowing over the hsf. but on sum cases, people with different airflow patterns do good on an inverted fan. most of it conforms what type of airflow u have on ur case.

Deadphishy

i have an ax-7 and i tried both ways with my Tt smart fan 2, and got about 4 deg higher temps when i had the fan sucking air ratheir then blowing on the heatsink.

maxima88

I also found my cpu temps to be higher w/ the fan blowing away from the hs than blowing onto it.

OP
pirate252

pirate252

so blow down is the way to go unless i wanna duct it, ok thanks all!!

Matt