• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu heatsink placement question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgpilot2

Registered
Hey guys, how do you know if your CPU heatsink is seated properly after installing it? What do you look for?
Specifically, for an Athlon XP processor.
I dont wanna find out by seeing smoke coming out of the chip, I already fried one XP2000.

Intrepid

uyse your judgement. you usualy dont worry about it but put it on with grease once than remove it to see if the grease sperads out well, if it does, than there is enough cobtact would be my guess. other than that you can rock it slightly and use that to judge. what heatsink are you using?

stool

Best way, if you have room to do it, it to place a light behind the HSF and core. If you see any light in the center, you have a big problem. This is not always possible with the numerous components place around the socket.

ThePunkGeek

another way is to put it on. then take it off and look to see how much thermal paste is on the bottom on the heatsink.

if the whole core shows up on the heatsink just clean it off re paste it and put it on and you will be good.

OP
D

dgpilot2

Registered
Thanks. I'm being extra extra careful, I dont want to smoke another XP2000, I still dont know how I smoked the previous one.