• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Host Freq. Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WilliamP

Registered
I can't get past 4GHz and someone suggested to lower the Clock Ratio to 7 then raise the host to 533 and the System Multiplier to 2.00D . Basically to see if the memory is the problem. Seemed reasonable to me. It wouldn't boot. That should have given me a CPU frequency of 3.73 and memory at 1066. Right now I'm stable at 4.009 and 1125. It seems that I raise the Host Frequency above 422 I have problems. I don't understand.

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
You shouldn't OC your memory while you're OCing your CPU. Just do one at a time, so it will help you determine what's giving you problems.

Keep your System Multiplier on 2.00B or 2.00D while OCing your CPU, so you know your RAM won't be limiting you.

EDIT: Just noticed our setups are very similar...

Last edited:
OP
W

WilliamP

Registered
I didn't set out to overclock the ram. But with the choices given in the BIOS,if I dropped the multiplier my ram would be 844 if I stayed with D. What I tried in my post above, neither CPU or Ram should have been overclocked yet it wouldn't boot. It seems that if I try to raise the Host above 425 it don't like it.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Your RAM probably isn't capable of running over 1125MHz (2.66D multiplier on a 400=1600FSB MCH strap) at the current timings, DRAM voltage, and / or vNB / vMCH. Change the multiplier from 2.66D to 2.40B (333 MCH strap) for an effective DRAM frequency of 1015MHz at a FSB of 423MHz; CPU Clock Ratio of 9.5 X. Manually adjust the four primary RAM timings to 5-5-5-18, tRFC to 54 and DRAM voltage to 2.1V. Increase MCH Core voltage to 1.3V, CPU Termination (VTT) voltage to 1.25 - 1.30V, and set the Command Rate to 2N / 2T.

Last edited:

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
I didn't set out to overclock the ram. But with the choices given in the BIOS,if I dropped the multiplier my ram would be 844 if I stayed with D. What I tried in my post above, neither CPU or Ram should have been overclocked yet it wouldn't boot. It seems that if I try to raise the Host above 425 it don't like it.

That's why you should stay with the 2.00B or D System Multiplier while you OC your CPU. Yes, it will underclock your RAM while you OC the CPU. The good thing about this is that you will know your RAM isn't the problem when you hit a "wall" since it's underclocked.

Now, after you get to the OC you want for your CPU, then you change the System Multiplier to get your RAM back up to speed.