• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU i7 975 extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hafi7975

Registered
I have a i7 975 extreme which cost a arm and a leg ($1300 aud) and i have reseached this before buying and was advised by many people to get it as i am a gamer and very new to OC and since owning a Alienware arura 7500 i have built a new rig (Alienware still going strong after 4 years) and the i7 975 seems very quick in all aspects of computing and have a friend that has a 920 and the 975 runs faster when the 920 is clocked the same 3.8 mhz and it runs very cool (swiftech apogee gtz kit Rev2.0 water block) what i am saying does any body have the 975 for awhile and what do you think of it ? i think it is ok and very fast.

thanks

Im not really sure how the 975 is faster clock for clock vs. the 920. They are the same essentially. At 3.8ghz, youd be running a QPI above 6.4 GT/Sec and thats about the only thing that is faster (stock is 4.8 for 920, 6.4 for 975, but I believe they scale the same after that 6.4).

Who told you to buy a 975 anyways? If you are overclocking to game, 4ghz is easily achievable on a 920, and PLENTY for gaming. 975 is almost strictly for benching. Do you do any benching?

Dont take that the wrong way, congrats on your purchase, but if you dont need it, you may want to consider selling it and purchasing a 920 or even a 950 if you have to and upgrading another part of your system (SSD maybe?? You didnt list your specs so I dont know if you have one).

Im not really sure how the 975 is faster clock for clock vs. the 920. They are the same essentially. At 3.8ghz, youd be running a QPI above 6.4 GT/Sec and thats about the only thing that is faster (stock is 4.8 for 920, 6.4 for 975, but I believe they scale the same after that 6.4).

Who told you to buy a 975 anyways? If you are overclocking to game, 4ghz is easily achievable on a 920, and PLENTY for gaming. 975 is almost strictly for benching. Do you do any benching?

Dont take that the wrong way, congrats on your purchase, but if you dont need it, you may want to consider selling it and purchasing a 920 or even a 950 if you have to and upgrading another part of your system (SSD maybe?? You didnt list your specs so I dont know if you have one).
yeah $1300 processor for gaming when a $300 one would be fine? Who needs friends like that?!?!?!?! :cry:

Anyhow, I support the above post 100%. Especially the part about selling your current chip unless you suddenly want to benchmark it under extreme cooling as thats all its really good for.

Let's do the math. $1300/4 = $325. You can buy at least (4) 920s and still have $100 or more left over to spend :)

There's really no point in getting the i7 975, which is just a faster clocked 920 (at stock speeds) with an unlocked multiplier. It would make much more financial sense to get an i7 920 and overclock it to at least 3.5GHz, as most of them have no problem reaching that mark. It would probably be in your best interest to sell the i7 975, get a 920 and use the remaining amount for something like a fast SSD.

Back