• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU lifespan?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
most cpu's are obsolete before they die. i would guess typical lifespan is about 10-15 years under normal conditions. probly chop a good 1/4 to 1/3 off if overclocked.

Or count on 10 years and chop it in half. You're at 2/5th of your cpu's life... and that is probably a pessimistic estimate. =)

If u've a proper cooling with such a mild overclock your cpu should be obsolete before it dies (as others have replied). Though with 148fsb (37Mhz pci-bus) you might kill like your hdd or other pci-devices in the long run.

I've actually never seen a CPU chip die of old age - they just seem to go on forever.

As far as I know, the 8086 on my first computer, an Olivetti M24 is still going, and my AST 386/20C (1989) is counting oranges on a farm. Some of the components had to be replaced, however - but more due to obsolescence than due to failure.

Back