• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU might be died?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BIB

well the only thing that i have done to it was put some artic silver 5 on it. I was extremely careful not to put it anywhere that it is not suppose to go. Like touch the metal contacts. now when i boot up sometimes it will and sometimes it wont.

After testing some things, i tried different ram and different speeds. the processor will no longer boot at full speed. (athlon 2400+) It will however boot fine at 10x133. Then i tried to raise it to 10x140, it got into windows. I am thinking this is weird. then i try 10x145 and i go to save cmos, right when i click enter it goes off. to turn it back on i have to click the power supply off and then back on, or it will not turn on. When it turns on it goes to the boot screen. memory testing, it shows the processor speed, and the mem freq and then shuts off.

i tried the default 15x133, it saved and then shut off at that first boot screen. sometimes it will turn off in the bios just sitting there. temps and everything else is fine. I even took out the processor and reset twice. Still the same results.

i think that it is a processor or motherboard related issue. I do have another processor that i will try and i will try this one without the as5 on it.

what do you guys think this can be?

Last edited:
OP
BIB

BIB

yes i reseated it twice, both with the same results.

Cyrix_2k

Try the other processor and let us know what happens. If the other processor works, try the 2400 in another MB. If it doesn't work in the other MB, give it an alchohol bath and try it.

Docta_Z

I hate to say it...

but since you've set it up correctly, heat probably isn't an issue.

It may be a bad component. Try another CPU in that mobo and see if similar problems occur.

OP
BIB

BIB

yeah i have another mobo and processor to try it out on. Although i have no time tonight. I will try tomorrow and post back with the results.

OP
BIB

BIB

ok here is what i did today. before messing with other processors and motherboards i figured i will take off the as5 and put on the other stuff i was using to see what would happen. the as5 is what started the problems to begin with i believe. so the as5 is off, put on heatsink and the computer once again works like nothing happened to it.

so now i dont know if the as5 actually gave me the problems or did i somehow put on the heatsink not right multiple times?

my theory is the artic silver did something, but how?

OP
BIB

BIB

maybe the first time too much, but that time it worked and was too hot to my liking. then i put on a very thin layer, just the right amount, and it would not work.

i really dont know, but my computer works once again and i am happy with that.

Cyrix_2k

BIB said:
maybe the first time too much, but that time it worked and was too hot to my liking. then i put on a very thin layer, just the right amount, and it would not work.

i really dont know, but my computer works once again and i am happy with that.
Better a working computer than a cool one... (even better to have both)