• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu Or Ram???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tyshy

I am having a problem. I don't know what crapped out.....the ram or the cpu. The comp does not post it just turns on and sits there doing nothing. It is not a video issue as i have tested that. I think it might be the CPU cause i have watercooling and it is possible that i have ruined the core with too much pressure..(altho no visible damage). If it is the ram i don't know why it is cause it is crucial and it has been reliable to me. Is there any obvious way to tell? If it was the ram would the comp even turn on or at least give me an error when i get into the bios? I just want to find out before i go and buy a new chip. I was thinking the xp1700+ cause it is a cheap chip but is still fast.

What kind of beeps are you getting upon bootup? Refer to the manual to see what the beeps mean. You also wanna try resetting the CMOS if you haven't so.

Yodums

Yes, like Yodums said there is usually a way of notification of what the mobo is doing. My 8kha+ has a little screen with hex code and then you look up the code and it tells you about the process. I'm sure yours has a similiar function.

there are no beeps and there is no code that i know of. The mobo i think is ok otherwise it would probably give me some other errors cause it crapped out before once and it was the mobo. But it would still start up. Now it doesn't even go thru bios even tho i have reset the bios many times before. I really don't know what the problem is. I just want to know if its the cpu or ram.

I'm gonna have to say it's the cpu. when mine fried the comp would startup, everything would spin up, but no post and blank screen.

thx a lot thats what my first thought was too....just checking all my options.

BTW wat is the best cpu xp chip to get. I was thinking the 1700+ cause the low price. Would the 1800+ be better for an extra 20 bucks. I can always overclock.

id go with the 1800, i bigger retail multiplier could mean
bigger overclocks without an unlock.

I get the same problem as you when my RAM craps out. If it was the cpu usually you should get beeps or something. Award Bios gives you Repeating high/low beeps. When I hang on a boot I just reset the bios and back off on the memory timings. :( But since you already reset the bios and nothing happens, I will sadly have to put my money on your CPU. I would try to test in it another board before you go out and by something especially if your strapped for cash. I would hate to live the rest of my life wondering what could have been.
good luck

i wouldn't spend the rest of my life figuring it out....i would just buy more ram and maybe a new mobo. Besides...i have money i am just reluctant to spend it cause then i wouln't have money. I have a chronic fear that i will spend all my money and then i will need it for something special that i won't be able to afford....this will never happen tho.

by the way it can't be the harddrive can it cause the hard drive made a really weird sound that was proplonged until i shut it off after restarting after the first time it froze.....I highly doubt this is the problem tho cause i have successfully started up many computers without a hard drive plugged in.

no it wouldn't be the harddrive
if it were the harddrive the computer would post and it would just say "bad disk"

i know.....just thinking aouloud as i typed. I gonna order the 1800+ soon as soon as prices drop a little......does anyone know if the Abit KG7 board will support the athlon XP processor? I was gonna buy an epox 8KHA+ KT266A. Cheap and good.

i love my 8kha+, my only disappintment is the lack of a 1/5 divider, but that's no big deal

and the recent discovery that it didn't have an smbus... i oculda found that out before I bought it but I didn't care back then, now I do.

but it's a great board and I like the bios.

Back