• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU ordered, what did I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
I've hinted for some time I planned to upgrade my processor. Thought it might be fun to make a poll and see if anyone can guess what I spent my hard earned cash on. I have said in several posts that I wanted quad channel memory and more PCIe lanes. Did I buy my dream CPU? Or did I have to make another compromise?

(1) i5 7640X [Bat never overclocked an i5 before, so wanted a shot at making it squirm]
(2) i7 7820X [Bat wanted an i9, but was too much $$$, so this 8 core is a decent compromise]
(3) i9 7900X [cheapest i9, quad channel, 44 PCIe lanes, some vendors have discounted the price]
(4) i9 7920X [has 12 yummy cores and TDP is 140W compared to 165W of the top tier i9 CPUs]
(5) i9 7960X [had to pre-order, should be available in about a week, 16 cores of sweetness]
(6) i7 8700K [just released Coffee Lake, X299 platform is a dead end, switching to new Z370 chipset]
(7) ???????? [Bat fooled everyone and bought a CPU not on the list, maybe Ryzen? or mobile CPU?]
(8) nothing [Bat said screw Intel... not gonna buy anything until prices drop to a reasonable level]

I was trying to make it a poll, but oh well, it's rather trivial to be a poll anyway I guess.

Last edited:
I have a bunch of Pentium IIs, but no Pentium III, all my coppermines were Celerons (neutered P-III).

I'll post what I got when I get notified it's been shipped.

Y'all are good, my top 3 picks have been guessed already.

Let's narrow it down a bit. Namely it's between these: 7820X, 7900X, and 7920X.

Honestly, up until I ordered it a day and a half ago, I was still undecided and trying to find a good deal.

It's no secret I wanted an i9. The only real difference between the 7900X and 7920X is 10 vs. 12 cores and price.

The 7820X has 28 PCIe lanes and quad channel memory support vs. the 16 lanes and dual channel of my current 7740X. The 7820X is also about half the cost of the 7900X/7920X. I started out with a single core, and then went to dual core to quad core. Sort of seems natural that the next step be doubled again to be 8 cores. Right? Then next year maybe I can step up to 16 cores with the 7960X or move on to the Cannon Lake with the die shrink. So, the 7820X made a lot of sense and seemed like a good compromise. But, sometimes I follow my heart--not my brain...

What's wrong wit your current CPU? Why just don't wait for Ice Lake? As I understand Cannonlake will be laptop CPU.

My new i9 7920X is officially on the way.

If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

bmaxa, technically, there's nothing wrong with my current CPU. But, Intel partially castrated it. No quad channel memory with the 7740X and I'm limited to X16 PCIe lanes. I have a second video card and it runs them at X8/X8. The i9 processors allow X16/X16/X8 if I wanted to get a third one. So, for those reasons and because I'm bored with it, I want to try something different with a whole bunch of cores. Several times I almost pulled the trigger on the 7820X which probably made more sense. My wife told me, it's your money, get what you want. I did get a little bit of a discount.

I never had a Cyrix chip, but had a buddy that got one despite my warnings. It was basically already overclocked from the factory. It ran like crazy for a while though, then the magic smoke escaped with a poof.

Delid? Yeah, probably. I already have the delid tool for the X-series processor. This one? I delidded this 7740X... twice... with a razor blade.

Back