• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU ordered, what did I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I usually start memory settings with CPU on auto just so I know it's not the CPU

On TUF2 I'm not even touching additional voltages. Almost everything is at auto as I haven't seen big difference at higher voltages. Maybe it's my CPU or something else. My 7900X is generally above average.

I got a blue screen trying 4.8 @ 1.2v, but usually for this system a blue screen is RAM. Back in the BIOS I found the CPU Cache Voltage had somehow got changed to auto. I had it set to Adaptive Mode at one time. I put back, although I doubt it's causing all the issues.

Interesting. The only thing I did was change the setting mentioned above. It ran GB3 no problem this time at 4.8 and max load temp was 89 C. So, it looks like I had multiple problems, wrong settings, too much vcore, etc. Temp is still a little high. Let's see if 5.0 will run at 1.2v?

EDIT: 4.9 @ 1.2v would not complete the bench.

Last edited:
Generally things were OK with low voltages it's when you start running anything with AVX behind it that the temps go through the roof. Try something like X265

HWBOT x265 1080P gave me 84 C load temp at 4.8/1.2v where GB3 hit 89 C. I'm thinking once the number of cores reach a certain point, they help generate more heat than we're used to seeing.

You might want to check and make sure it's not downclocking with AVX some boards set an automatic offset. AFIK GB doesn't use AVX where x265 does

No offset, I can set offset, but haven't.

The one guy that submitted a SP 1M score is on SS cooling (4.862) and I'll take the gold cup from him at 4.800 on water. That makes me feel better.

I still think it's worth running benches with CPUz or similar open just to verify you're not downclocking for any reason. With the offset auto does not equal disabled when in BIOS. My MSI board on auto didn't downclock but that doesn't mean the ASUS doesn't

Downclock? I have speedstep disabled in the BIOS. Or do you mean kicking out of turbo?

I ran SP 1M with CPU-Z open, it stayed at 5.0 the whole time.

Johan, what voltage did you start out with on the CPU Input voltage? I tried starting low at 1.1 and then tried 1.25, but it locks up as soon as I save and reset.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stock is around 1.8 bud...

Reset your BIOS to stock and look where its at, move up from there.

E_D got it for me. Like I said when I was pushing things I got up around 2.0V didn't want to go much higher without freezing it. Too much VCCIN can kill it dead pfft

I went completely back to default BIOS settings and started over. This RAM will do DDR4-2800 with tight timings and loose times, but it won't go any farther. I took two of the sticks out, so now it's just dual channel. Again, it's a brick wall beyond DDR4-2800. The RAM is rated for 3600 and I had it running at 4000+ in this system with the only change is the CPU. Weird.

Did you update the BIOS ? I wouldn't be surprised if there was a release for that CPU
If I recall you had trouble getting it to start because you forgot to reset it. Maybe even a good CMOS clear would help
Just checked ASUS ther is a BIOS 0702 which seems to be just for the 7920 it has a microcode update even the big dawg would run on the 0402 BIOS

Last edited:
I've been checking for updates every day, checked again now. I have version 0802 which is the most recent and supposedly supports the 7920X.

Yep, I've cleared everything once.

In the mean time I'm trying out 4.8 and 5.0 overclocks. With a low RAM clock, I can get some tight timings (10-10-10-28)

I ran Cinebench 2003 at 4.4 GHz and to my surprise, if submitted the score, it would have been 3rd place globally. So, I bumped up the OC to 4.8 GHz and ran the bench a couple more times and pulled down a world record. I didn't even see who I beat until afterwards. Sorry, Woomack. I had another score that would have placed me in second, seriously, if I saw it was you I would have taken silver and left you the gold.

image_id_1920562.jpeg

Last edited:
I ran Cinebench 2003 at 4.4 GHz and to my surprise, if submitted the score, it would have been 3rd place globally. So, I bumped up the OC to 4.8 GHz and ran the bench a couple more times and pulled down a world record. I didn't even see who I beat until afterwards. Sorry, Woomack. I had another score that would have placed me in second, seriously, if I saw it was you I would have taken silver and left you the gold.

:eek: Wow! Way to go batz! :clap:

Cinebench R-15 at default speed = 2325

Cinebench R-15 at 4.8 GHz OC = 3121

Last edited:
I went completely back to default BIOS settings and started over. This RAM will do DDR4-2800 with tight timings and loose times, but it won't go any farther. I took two of the sticks out, so now it's just dual channel. Again, it's a brick wall beyond DDR4-2800. The RAM is rated for 3600 and I had it running at 4000+ in this system with the only change is the CPU. Weird.

Check:
1. enable XMP, set main timings and frequency manually
2. disable XMP, set main timings and frequency manually
3. try both above with DRAM training enabled for all memory channels, on the bottom of the timings list, without this option enabled board won't boot at high clocks but for me high are 3600+
4. be sure to use correct memory slots, from left it's 1/3/6/8
5. Set IO and SA about +10% higher
6. disable deeper C states ( C1 and EIST can be enabled )

There are some other settings that can be disabled/enabled for better OC but I don't remember how it is called ( I'm at work now ).

Back