• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu overclock 100* Celcius!!!! 3 seconds!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leonthesickone

Hello there guys!

I am completely new to overclocking! But i wanted to overclock my 2 year old 6700k skylake. Ive spent hours looking at tutorials on how to do it. And what i did was folloing exactly what linus tech tips does in his video at 6:15 in this video:

So i changed it to XMP, then i synced all cores to 4.6. i then changed the volt to try these voltages

But it kept getting bluescreen all the time. So i changed it to
4.5ghz
1.375 voltage

Now i didnt get bluescreen. However my CPU temp jumped up to 100 degree celcius in like 3-4 seconds when stress testing at these settings.
My resting temperature 4.5 with 1.375 voltage in desktop without any program or anything running was 26-29 celcius.
Stock at 4.0 ghz and stock voltage it idle around 23-25 celcius without anything running.

Here is a video from my stress test when running 4.5ghz 1.375 voltage. As you can see my voltage spikes to like 1.424 voltage or something for no reason????

I dont know what is wrong as i am completely new to overclocking.
I got a corshair H100i watercooler connected to my cpu. I even took it off, removed the paste and applied new thermal cooler paste to it. It seems to be working fine so i dont think its the cooler that has any flaws. Im thinking that it is probably some settings or something thats happening while i stress test? Like i said ive been running stock 6700k for 2 years without any problem. I heard someone say something about LLC? I dont really know what that is or how to change anything. I have the EXACT same bios as linus tech tips had in that video. Should i change something or try something else, in that case what? I would love everyone who could help me out with this issue :) <3 <3

Well first off you cannot just drop in someone else's settings and expect it to work. Each chip needs to be tuned slightly differently.

Can you list your full system specs like this,

Cpu - 6700k
Mobo- Asus gene book
Ram - dominator platinum 4x8gb 3600 c16
Cooler - h115i
Hdd - 256gb evo
Psu - evga 750 G2

Thus will help us better troubleshoot your issues.

What program are you using to stress test and what version of that program.

My suggestion is you set everything back to stock and try again. Set voltage at like 1.3v and then slowly start increasing the multiplier while testing. Continuing doing this until you can no longer increase the multiplier. At that point add 0.01v and try again. Continue adding voltage life this until it stabilizes. Then you can try increasing the multiplier again. Continue this process until you can no longer get the next multiplier step stable or heat becomes an issue.

Last edited:
Well first off you cannot just crop in someone else's settings and expect it to work. Each chip needs to be tuned slightly differently.

Can you list your full system specs like this,

Cpu - 6700k
Mobo- Asus gene book
Ram - dominator platinum 4x8gb 3600 c16
Cooler - h115i
Hdd - 256gb evo
Psu - evga 750 G2

Thus will help us better troubleshoot your issues.

What program are you using to stress test and what version of that program.

My suggestion is you set everything back to stock and try again. Set voltage at like 1.3v and then slowly start increasing the multiplier while testing. Continuing doing this until you can no longer increase the multiplier. At that point add 0.01v and try again. Continue adding voltage life this until it stabilizes. Then you can try increasing the multiplier again. Continue this process until you can no longer get the next multiplier step stable or heat becomes an issue.

Thank you for being so kind to help me.

z170 pro gaming
1080 brand new palit super jet stream 5 days old
cant find my order so i cant check my DDrs. but i believe its corsair and 16 gb
250 gb SSD
750w i believe corsair

However i think i know what the problem is now. I have a corsair h100i which is 4.5 years old atm. I have been googling around and it seems like the water does dry out after some years. So i believe there is something wrong with the cooler. Im gonna try to go back to default settings to see what temperature it runs on when im playing games normal with the stock settings. otherwize i might just buy a new cooler. Thank you so much for your help tho, i will come back if it doesnt work :) <3 <3 <3

Check to see if the pump is working/vibrating. 4.5 Years old is pretty much it's life expectancy for an AIO. Might be time for a new one or go good air cooler.

I wouldn't assume the 4.5 year old Corsair AIO is working properly. Pumps can die at any time and over time water evaporates from the hoses.

Back