• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Pin Damage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AntmanMike

I lost a pin on my P4 Northwood, and it won't boot up without it (though it still gets hot). Basically, it got bent too much, and broke off. Is there any way to replace it? I don't know if I can return it, though it isn't OEM (it came in a box with heatsink).

OP
AntmanMike

AntmanMike

I bought it off E-Bay... I have also overclocked it in the past (and had wire volt mods), would they still take it? How would they know? Would I have to clean off any of the excess Arctic Silver Ceramique (prototype stuff, my article at www.kuat.tk) before sending it back? More info plz.

jmsandrsn

As long as you remove the wire they won't know if you overclocked it or not. I'm not saying you should return it or not return...it's an ethical question that you'll have to answer yourself.

OP
AntmanMike

AntmanMike

But seriously, RMA is for factory defects, how often do CPUs come with broken pins from the factory, and be returned months after purchase?

JaY_III

Senior of BX
Overclocking VOIDS your WARENTY
your break it you bought it.

Prices for Intel CPU's are high enough, and illegitimate RMA's do not help the matter at all and give OVERCLOCKERS a BAD NAME

TUK101

jay said:
Overclocking VOIDS your WARENTY
your break it you bought it.

Prices for Intel CPU's are high enough, and illegitimate RMA's do not help the matter at all and give OVERCLOCKERS a BAD NAME
What he said. I know that its an expensive lesson to me learned, but OC'ing is about trial and error. Most OC'er's eventually burn/break something eventually. I really hate it when I hear about people rma'ing things that where thier own fault.

Hawk

AntmanMike said:
I lost a pin on my P4 Northwood, and it won't boot up without it (though it still gets hot). Basically, it got bent too much, and broke off. Is there any way to replace it? I don't know if I can return it, though it isn't OEM (it came in a box with heatsink).
If you sold a car and the guy crashed it into a ploe would you give him his money back? If he put jet fuel in it and blew the engine would you give his money back??? I think not!! So why should anyone do this for you? This one is a no brainer...DO WHAT YOU KNOW IS RIGHT....YOU BROKE IT YOU BOUGHT IT- END OF STORY.