• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu reading default when beboot system!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

walldow

i have been o/c my system at the specs in my sig for about 6 months now. all of a sudden when i go to reboot my pc the cpu goes from 2500mhz to 1256mhz. in order to get back to 2500mhz i have to go to bios and save. then reboot again! it does this everytime i reboot. the bios is reading 200x12.5 for the cpu when i go in but it boots up at 1256mhz. untill i save and exit bios?

does anyone know what would cause this? i thought maybe it was the battery on the mobo, but got a new battery and it still does it. i have flashed the bios to the most recent from abit and still does it.

it doesn't hurt performance evrything still runs great. i just have to save in bios everytime after beboot???????????

thanks

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
walldow said:
i have been o/c my system at the specs in my sig for about 6 months now. all of a sudden when i go to reboot my pc the cpu goes from 2500mhz to 1256mhz. in order to get back to 2500mhz i have to go to bios and save. then reboot again! it does this everytime i reboot. the bios is reading 200x12.5 for the cpu when i go in but it boots up at 1256mhz. untill i save and exit bios?

does anyone know what would cause this? i thought maybe it was the battery on the mobo, but got a new battery and it still does it. i have flashed the bios to the most recent from abit and still does it.

it doesn't hurt performance evrything still runs great. i just have to save in bios everytime after beboot???????????

thanks

common cause of this is that your CMOS battery is dead (the little button like battery on the mobo). check its part# and stuff and get a replacement, should take care of you.

OP
walldow

walldow

well as i staited in the origanal post i bought a new battery today and replaced it. but it is still doing the same thing i'll try taking out the battery and bend the conctors mabe they aren't getting good contact on the battery. i'll let you know if it works.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
walldow said:
well as i staited in the origanal post i bought a new battery today and replaced it. but it is still doing the same thing i'll try taking out the battery and bend the conctors mabe they aren't getting good contact on the battery. i'll let you know if it works.

odd, I honestly did not see that at all, sorry

Chgeck the connections as you said then..well

Last thing would be the bios chip is fried... thats really all there is to it.. unless its some eroneus jumper settinbg like you have the "clear CMOS" jumper set to ON. or something, otherwise I can see no other cause..

1. the battery
2. the jumpers
3. the chip
4 end of story pretty much

JimmyG

Check to see if the jumper for resetting the bios is on or off properly...it depends on the mobo. See the manual. It could be resetting itself because of the jumper.

OP
walldow

walldow

the reset c-mos jumpers is set right. that is the only jumper i have on the mobo (softmenu III is jumperless) and i have made sure the battery is getting good contact. still does it.

so does this mean the c-mos has whent bad? i hate to rma the thing, then i'll be without a pc for about a week:( but i got it from newegg and they are great on rma's. i rma a shuttle mobo that the memory controller whent bad on and they sent me one right out, no questions. i just hate being without!