• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu runs hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Indyxc1

Hey guys, here is the system
P4 2.0A @ 2710 mhz, 1.6v
Volcano 7+, Acs3, Modified to sit perfectly on the cpu.
Abit Sr7-8x

I did do some reading in the Abit motherboard forum, and it seems some of the abit boards read temps high, but I didn't find anything specific other than for the IT max7-II I believe.

Running at this speed the temps are:
54-57C full load (prime 95),
42c idle

At stock speed, stock voltage
47-48C full load
41-42c idle

I can feel the heatsink is warm, but not anywhere near 50C. Is the board reading too high or should I look else where? The volcano 7+ is definatly touching the cpu as I removed all the tabs on the mounts to allow it to clear the heat sink mount. I have a side door case fan blowing air onto the heat sink. 3 large fans in the front taking air in, and 2 fans in the back drawing it out. System temp under load is 33c.

Any suggestions?
Cpu runs Prime 95 for at least 4 hours without an error.

Peter

Hamburger

Registered
I ve always used the rule of thumb, 15 degrees over your system temp is fantastic for an air cooled rig. Your pretty close.

batboy

Senior Moment
The CPU temps are not heatsink temps, it's CPU temp. Touching the heatsink fins won't tell you much since lots of heat will have radiated out already. The Volcano cooler ain't that great of a cooler either. It is better than the stock retail cooler, but there are much better ones on the market. I think half of the rumors that Abit mobos report higher temps is wishful thinking by people with hot running rigs. Sounds like you have a fairly decent cooling setup right now for your level of overclock. If you have an adjustable fan speed, maybe consider checking to make sure it's running on the fastest setting.

OP
I

Indyxc1

Batboy-

The fan is on the medium setting. On high it's way too loud. I know the heatsink isn't the same temperature as the cpu. Obviously. My point with that is, the heatsink should at least feel hot, not *warm* as it is.

I don't see how the Volcano 7+ isn't a good hsf. It's a large copper heat sink with a giant fan on it. Simple physics says copper is a great material for heat disappation. Likewise the heat sink has a very large surface area, that a high flowing fan pushes a large amount of air over.

Indyxc

batboy

Senior Moment
Every heatsink I've every played with always seemed cooler than I expected. I should of worded my opinion about the Volcano cooler differently. I always forget, people take offense if you bad mouth their cars, girlfriends, or computer components. The Volcano is a "good" heatsink, better than average, but there are several coolers that are better. Look at the some of the comparison reviews. You'd think it would do better than what it tests out to be. I have to admit, it does look impressive. I've helped several people here on the forum that had the Volcano cooler and were running a tad warm. Almost always it ran tremedously cooler when the fan was on high. I think maybe the heatsink was designed for more air flow than the fan puts out on the low and medium settings or something.

kamilkluczewski

Volcano 7+

The Volcano cooler ain't that great of a cooler either. It is better than the stock retail cooler, but there are much better ones on the market.
The Volcano is a "good" heatsink, better than average, but there are several coolers that are better. Look at the some of the comparison reviews.

There are only 3 better ones that I found. And a 2c delta difference between them is NOT big!! Are there a lot more heatsinks out in the world i dont know about.

Its a pretty awesome cooler by my standards.
COMPARO

It looks like its 4th on the list for cooling! Can you name the 3 better ones?

Grant it, it does have to run on high to be effective but that ability is built in there so you dont need to do any mods. I'm extremely happy with mine, my comp used to lock up after 5 minutes of NFS Hot Pursuit 2, now it runs stable like a rock on medium, drops below 44 on high.

Well thats my .02 worth.

:beer: Kam