• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU shims are they helpful?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Karl04

I heard they protect against heatsink crusing the core of the processor. they cost like 5 bucks should i get one when i'll buy a new cpu?

Karl

The Coolest

shims are a good way to go unless you will want to OC your PC. they won't let the heatsink to have the proper contact w/ the core, thus raising temps. unless you know that you're too clumsy and you are sure you will screw something up, then get a shim, or do a better thing and go to AMD and look for the PDF that explains how to mount a heatsink correctly, without endangering your core. Basically, you have to put the heat sink flat on the core, with the smallest angle possible, and then, rest it completly on the 4 pads and core, and only then clip it.

Deathknight

Hrm how do they stop the HS from making full contact? As far as I can tell the shim should not cause any issues with making contact.

Garfield

No, not a good idea. They take a little away from the temp (not absolute direct contact with heatsink) some say, and if you're careful when placing the heatsink you'll be fine not to crush to core.

So, in my opinion, it's not a great idea to use a cpu shim...

Tipycol

What makes you think that rippedsocks? What if it was a "manly" man that whenever he put on the heatsink he'd crush the entire core completely? Obviously it happens a lot, enough so that the idea of a shim was created. Although I don't think they are needed, shims do protect the core, however the effect on the heatsink varies. Some people get higher temps, while others get a lower temp. If you feel you might crush the core, get a shim. Just dont' be surprised if the temp goes up a few degrees.

Last edited:
OP
K

Karl04

i am not worried about the temperature. cause duron 1300 as i heard dont generate alot of heat. as long as temp at 40-50 i am cool. plus Volcano Cu or higher is the heat sink i am getting

Karl

Tipycol

Hehe...well I dunno...maybe it was a strong construction worker who finally decided to build his own computer but kept crushing his cpu cores :D

Last edited:

kinglouiex

I dont know about you guyz but I wont install my cup with out my shim I have cranked down on my clip screw and no worries mate and to be honest I think it actually HELPED my temps dont quote me on that I have had my shim on a while.:beer:
__hr_cpu.jpg

Last edited:

Garfield

Myabe, and some say they help, but what was the temp before the shim? Or you've had the shim on the whole time? So, there's nothing to compare to...