• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu shims

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

x-kid

yea ur still suppose to use thermal paste. a shim is meant to be used as a safe guard so you won't crack your core when installing your cpu cooler.

kevin

OP
Salmon Dream

Salmon Dream

Registered
but it is supposed to stay on untill you take your processor out, and do you put the thermal paste on under it?

Last edited:

Sniperboy

A shim is meant to be left on the entire time. A shim can actually increase your temps a little. It's one main purpose is to protect the core, and I don't see that as an issue with the Athlon XP's.

JoJoMoJo

sniperboy is rt ....just there to keep the core from being smushed. Nothing to do with cooling.

OP
Salmon Dream

Salmon Dream

Registered
Sniperboy said:
A shim is meant to be left on the entire time. A shim can actually increase your temps a little. It's one main purpose is to protect the core, and I don't see that as an issue with the Athlon XP's.

is it worth it... i am getting an athlon xp 1600+... is it easy to crack the core?

Tipycol

As I just replied on another thread:

...Although I don't think they are needed, shims do protect the core, however the effect on the heatsink varies. Some people get higher temps, while others get a lower temp. If you feel you might crush the core, get a shim. Just dont' be surprised if the temp goes up a few degrees.

1Time

I've not used a shim before and still see no need to use them. I guess I'll have to crush my XP some day before I may change my tune. I just can't recall anyone saying they've crushed their XP while installing a cooler. And I can't see how it could be crushed unless you were careless enough to drop the cooler on it.

spazzkid

ive crushed a few cores before (due to sum carelessness), but that doesnt make me want to get a shim. just be careful when installing hsf's. the core isnt really that fragile u know.