• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu stress testing for games only

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Izu79

Registered
Good day overclockers and those who want to start.
Well as most do, over the last 20 yrs of overclocking my computers I have used many programs especially prime95 to test so called stability.
With my new ryzen2 build i start to wonder is prime95 overkill for a strickly gaming system.
I have always used multiple stress tests to check the stability of my overclocks but heavily relying on prime95 and cinebench to confirm.
Does avx testing really matter.
If i can get another 100mhz or more from my cpu YAY!
Is there a correlation between avx stable and gaming stable?

prime95 and most other stress testing programs are overkill, in my opinion, for A game rig.
stable to me is one thing, stable to you is another.
I render in blender, one of few programs that use avx, if I can complete the gooseberry scene, I'm stable enough.
If I'm trying to help someone remotely, such as over this forum, p95 and A few others are the go to's.

Cinebench r20 will also give you a rough idea if system is doing well or not. On older systems it will take a while to complete and will drive temps up. I use it often when trying new overclocks.

IntelBurnTest is also still a very decent and quick test to see if you're stable. Yes some games will use AVX or hit the CPU hard enough that you might as well be prepared for AVX-like temps/voltages, Crysis comes to mind.

Well, some titles use some form of avx instructions. P95 may be overkill though. I find aida64 and its default stress test works well for me and uses a form of avx. A few hours of that and I dont crash in long gaming sessions... but as always, ymmv.

Back