• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Temperature readings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brenainn

I have run into a bit of confusion as to what temperature my cpu is actually running at. I just recently installed a closed loop liquid cooling unit, and was going to begin overclocking. However I am getting two different readings for the cpu temp, and I don't know which is correct. My motherboard debug readout it showing 33C while CPUID HWmonitor is showing 16C. Which is correct?
Thanks for any input.

Please list the system components as seen in my signature.

Processor AMD FX 8350
MB MSI 990fxa-gd80v2
Cooler CoolerMaster Seiden 240M
Video MSI Radeon R9-270 2GB GAMING OC Edition
OS Drive Radeon R7 240gb SSD
PSU Rosewill Xtreme 750
Memory 4x8GB Crucial Ballistic Tactical Tracer PC3-10700 8-8-8-24
Case Antec (model unknown)

Motherboard is correct. Software monitoring isn't accurate until about 40°C for the FX processors.

Motherboard is correct. Software monitoring isn't accurate until about 40°C for the FX processors.
^^^This^^^ and I'll add the motherboard is likely reading the Socket temp which there is an actual sensor for and the 16c Hwmonitor reading is the package/core temps which is an algorithm (no actual temp sensor) that AMD has stated and also as Atminside alluded to, is not accurate until around 40-45c when under load.

Back