• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU-z installer download unsafe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

My system wouldn't let me download CPU-z, either the .exe installer or the zipped version, flagging it as "unsafe" and warning that there were multiple files in the download. This was attempted while using the Chrome browser with the Microsoft Defender extension installed and using Microsoft Defender as the real time antivirus protection.

However, with the same Microsoft Defender extension installed in the new Edge browser, Edge did not complain about downloading the same app.

Just wondering what others are experiencing. I've never considered www.cpuid.com to be an unsafe website. Is this a bug in Chrome?

Last edited:
If I turn off real time protection and cloud protection in Microsoft Defender and disable the Microsoft Defender extension in Chrome I still get this CPU-z download blocked. So it seems to be an issue with Chrome. I get the same effect on another computer as well.

Chrome is known to sometimes have a false-positive. Saw that with the Halo Custom Edition 1.0.10 extension DLLs, IIRC.

If I turn off real time protection and cloud protection in Microsoft Defender and disable the Microsoft Defender extension in Chrome I still get this CPU-z download blocked. So it seems to be an issue with Chrome. I get the same effect on another computer as well.
No issues here in Chrome (Version 86.0.4240.183). I run Defender, but not with an extension in Chrome. RT protection is enabled.

Not sure what's up with your chrome but with all of that disabled, it should work. Mine does (without the extension). I'd gather this is an extension issue more than a Chrome issue(?).

EDIT: That said, what does happen when trying to DL something like that, the button to DL won't work. However if I right click and open in a new tab, the file will DL (does this with other files @ websites too).

Last edited:
EDIT: That said, what does happen when trying to DL something like that, the button to DL won't work. However if I right click and open in a new tab, the file will DL (does this with other files @ websites too).

Yes, when right click on the download button nothing happens but then if I open a new tab the download starts immediately. What's up with that?

Yes, when right click on the download button nothing happens but then if I open a new tab the download starts immediately. What's up with that?

Same thing here - I had to "open in a new tab" to start the download process in Chrome.

Back