• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Craigslist Computer Sellers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chuckerants

What's with these guys?

I've been looking at a GTX 260 GPU, a quad core CPU and maybe a whole PC based on these items. I've noticed that most people are really serious when they want to sell their parts/PCs for what they paid for the parts.

I even e-mailed a guy about a GTX 260 and asked how he was going to prove to me that the card works since he only had the card. His response was, well not so confidence inspiring to say the least. And the price he wanted the card for was the same as I can buy from OC.Com members.

I don't understand why these people seem to think that I would trust you enough to buy an electronic part without knowing you or that the part is functional. Also, when your ad say, "Must Sell Fast", don't take it personal when I ask how must you'll take for it even when you list the price.

The cardinal rule of buying and selling stuff. I WANT to buy it, you HAVE to sell it (if you post MUST SELL in the ad). lol

Craigslist is a joke. Anything that has value people try to sell for like 90% of what they bought it for, however long ago that may have been. There are still people selling PIIs and PIIIs. I can't even understand how most people with computers that old can even be still running 90% of software or peripherals these days.

some of its pretty bad .. but ive actually made some dough flashing cell phones so its not all bad .. def how you advertise and present yourself through emails and over the phone ... to make people comfortable i usually went to them or met in a public place with my laptop

Craigslist is a joke. Anything that has value people try to sell for like 90% of what they bought it for, however long ago that may have been. There are still people selling PIIs and PIIIs. I can't even understand how most people with computers that old can even be still running 90% of software or peripherals these days.

some ppl buy it... just sold a 2.8ghz tower with 2 80gb hds, 256mb of ram and onboard vid for 150 bucks.

Ill probably be able to sell my p2 tower n 15in crt for 75.

There are good deals on CL with comp stuff... i have bought a coupla things, you just gotta keep an eye out.

I always meet them in a public place, n present myself well on the phone so ppl feel comfortable. I ust to run an add on CL for computer repair but promptly stopped when i went to fix this one guys computer at his house... he gave me the hebbie jeebies. This old (65+) gay dude, who watched me the entire time... gah i wanted to get out of there so bad. Always carried my knife in my box of computer repair stuff... and i made sure that day it was very accessible.

There are still people selling PIIs and PIIIs. I can't even understand how most people with computers that old can even be still running 90% of software or peripherals these days.

Eh, a PIII can still do everything most people would need a computer for. Hell, it'll still do about 80% of what I need a computer for.

However, that does not mean that a PIII is worth $150+. :sly:

That's the part that gets me... it's not so much the stuff people are selling, but the fact that so much of it is so absurdly overpriced. It's ridiculous. Just picking out a couple from the local Craigslist here... there's a guy selling a computer case for $75 (available for $54.99 shipped from Newegg), or here's a 320GB HD, only used for 6 months, for only $70 ($47.99 shipped from Newegg).

That's not to say there aren't some deals to be had, but it requires wading through so much crap that it's hardly worth the time.

Not really saying you can't use a PIII, but why would you try to sell it for anything. That would be something I would give away to a school or to a church. Would be a good "trainer" for young children. But to sell it on craigslist? I can see you getting 150 for a 2.8 tower with 2- 80 GB hard drives because those drives still sell for 39-49 dollars in stores. One gig of DDR will cost you 30 dollars. So realistically you could reuse that to refurb a broken computer. But seriously, most of the crap on craigslist is way over priced.

I have noticed that a few dual cores have been popping up lately and the people cannot sell them for very much because stores are selling a dual core both AMD and Intel for dirt cheap.

people just dont know better .. just names mostly .. you can look at it two ways .. taking advantage of the uninformed .. or its not my fault they dont know better :chair:

i dont do that crap

I see it like this, some people like us know about computers, so taking advantage of someone who doesn't know about computers is lets say.... morally wrong.

Me being an auto mechanic, I get it every day how I am ripping off a customer. When they are the one that doesn't even know how to change their own oil. They tell me I am ripping them off at 19.99, when in reality if they go to Walmart they will see 6 qts. of oil and a filter and BAM! 19.99. They haven't even got the tools to do the job or the time to do it. HOWEVER. If I sell them the oil for 30.00 for 6 qts. and 15.00 for a filter, then shame on me. I am a crook. People come to me BECAUSE I am knowledgeable.

"There's listings on CL all the time for a less powerful PC for more $$$"

Yeah, that doesn't mean they SOLD it for that much. lol

Yeah, that doesn't mean they SOLD it for that much.

Certainly a valid point, but somebody has to be buying at least some of that crap. The fact is, if the market didn't at least somewhat support those prices, most sellers would eventually get the hint. When such a high percentage of listings are overpriced crap, I can only assume that's because enough people are able to sell said overpriced crap.

If I am not really in the mood to part out my entire PC I usually just put it up on CL. Usually what I do is figure out what how much I would get if I parted it out on OCforums (including shipping) and sell it for that amount.

I don't look to rip people off, and I usually just ignore people that try to offer me 40% of what I am asking for it. Normally I will negotiate a price over the phone/email to make sure me and the buyer are on the same page for when they come and see it in person.

Even though I am in Philly I have yet to get anyone that "creeped" me out. I actually got this drop dead gorgeous blonde punk rocker chick that came and bought $2,000 worth of DJ stuff I had laying around lol

EDIT: Depending on the person that is buying the PC/Item I will even go over just about everything with the item I am selling. Usually buyers appreciate that (well the buyers that aren't really up-to-date with modern equipment) and might even call me or email me down the road for another sale :)

Apple products are the most overpriced on CL. And laptops. Like 4-5 year old laptops and people want $300 for them. When netbooks cost the same and are much faster.

But people are probably buying it. Why would you choose ebay when you can be rid of something faster and pocket more money?

Apple products are the most overpriced on CL. And laptops. Like 4-5 year old laptops and people want $300 for them. When netbooks cost the same and are much faster.

But people are probably buying it. Why would you choose ebay when you can be rid of something faster and pocket more money?

the same reason you wouldnt sell a starving man a cheesburger for 20.00 .. even though there is a taco bell around the corner down the street ... but he has no idea where he is cause he bumped his head after jumping with three monkeys on a bed :D

You should try vising a Goodwill store sometime. Last time I saw a computer there, it was one of those huge PS/2 tower, no HD, bunch of 30 pin memory sticks, $500

They have this delusion that bigger computer = more powerful = more value. I picked up a Tandy laptop for $5 (the tiny one with 4x20 character display) for that reason and flipped it on eBay for a lot more.

^
its funny cause when i need odd ball stuf like car chargers or usb data cables ill pop into one about 5 miles down the road and they have some pretty decent stuff .. i havent seen complete systems but they get flat panels in there .. allot of odd ball stuff that you may need once in a blue moon but i usually get cables etc to flash phones

There's this Icelandic site where you can buy and sell computer stuff. The site explicitly says that by putting up ads, you allow people to criticize your pricing.

Back