• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cranking the voltage, can it damage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BonaOver

Registered
I'm finding extremely hard to find 100% stability to reach 1500Mhz on my GTX 980, how much can I crank the mV in EVGA precision? What can it causes? I'm using a z97 fatality killer.

OP
BonaOver

BonaOver

Registered
68 max on air with 110 Mhz+ overclock, I want to go for 133Mhz, but the instability is so high

btw that is on a 30min valleybench test.
voltage is increased in 18mV but I find instability in furmark and some game crashes.

Even with 25mV increments at 133Mhz furmark keeps crashing, the only way it doesn't crash is at stock clock.

Same temps at 133mhz hitting 1500mhz on boost - 68c max and this is with fans at not even 70%

Last edited:

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Temps are pretty good, you can try adding some voltage (Afterburner won't let you hurt it), but it won't take much before you start dropping boost clock steps.
Adding more voltage adds a good bit of heat.

OP
BonaOver

BonaOver

Registered
Well the only stable I can get on furmark is 100Mhz with 18mV, it is using 120% power I think at 133mhz it caps the 124% it shouldn't crash but I kinda lost actually.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
Well the only stable I can get on furmark is 100Mhz with 18mV, it is using 120% power I think at 133mhz it caps the 124% it shouldn't crash but I kinda lost actually.
As Atminside mentioned Afterburner isn't going to let you hurt the card, you can crank the volts all the way if you need. Though, these Maxwell Gpu's do not scale well with voltage unless you can control the heat. Additionally, I've yet to find a benchmark that will confirm 100% stability in all games. Running Valley is a good idea and will give you some semblance of what is stable but not 100%. Have you tried a different driver?

OP
BonaOver

BonaOver

Registered
As Atminside mentioned Afterburner isn't going to let you hurt the card, you can crank the volts all the way if you need. Though, these Maxwell Gpu's do not scale well with voltage unless you can control the heat. Additionally, I've yet to find a benchmark that will confirm 100% stability in all games. Running Valley is a good idea and will give you some semblance of what is stable but not 100%. Have you tried a different driver?

No, I might try it next week, does EVGA precision voltage regulator differs from MSI's afterburner? About the voltage, I'm more scared about the motherboard than the VGA itself. I also heard that running daily with high mV increments could be bad for the VGA.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
No, I might try it next week, does EVGA precision voltage regulator differs from MSI's afterburner? About the voltage, I'm more scared about the motherboard than the VGA itself. I also heard that running daily with high mV increments could be bad for the VGA.
This is the first time I've ever heard that. I've yet to have a motherboard die other then from old age. I run all of my boards overclocked on both the Cpu and Gpu and have yet to have an issue. You may find your card Oc's better on Precision X then on Msi AB, no harm in trying it.

Just to add to what was said above, these newer graphic cards are all protected from Nvidia. The amount that you can control the voltage is allowed by them because it is still considered safe. The only way you can give the card too much voltage that could hurt it, is if you modified the BIOS to do so.

OP
BonaOver

BonaOver

Registered
This is the first time I've ever heard that. I've yet to have a motherboard die other then from old age. I run all of my boards overclocked on both the Cpu and Gpu and have yet to have an issue. You may find your card Oc's better on Precision X then on Msi AB, no harm in trying it.

Just to add to what was said above, these newer graphic cards are all protected from Nvidia. The amount that you can control the voltage is allowed by them because it is still considered safe. The only way you can give the card too much voltage that could hurt it, is if you modified the BIOS to do so.

Thanks

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
You can't damage your card by overvolting if you are using even standard cooler. That's because of all protective features inside and generally small possible voltage adjustment.
Most GTX900 cards have OCP/OVP at ~1.3V ( card will shut down above ). Some have locked higher voltage than ~1.27V in BIOS. Stock 3D = ~1.21V, max boost = ~1.267V.
Max in soft is 50, 70 or 100mV depends from card but all won't let you set more than ~1.27V. Simply if you have 50mV then manufacturer already used slightly higher voltage as stock and if you see 100mV then used lower voltage.
What more, card will throttle at too high temps. Also will turn off at 100*C+ ( depends from card ). So it's really hard to damage these new graphics cards.

OP
BonaOver

BonaOver

Registered
You can't damage your card by overvolting if you are using even standard cooler. That's because of all protective features inside and generally small possible voltage adjustment.
Most GTX900 cards have OCP/OVP at ~1.3V ( card will shut down above ). Some have locked higher voltage than ~1.27V in BIOS. Stock 3D = ~1.21V, max boost = ~1.267V.
Max in soft is 50, 70 or 100mV depends from card but all won't let you set more than ~1.27V. Simply if you have 50mV then manufacturer already used slightly higher voltage as stock and if you see 100mV then used lower voltage.
What more, card will throttle at too high temps. Also will turn off at 100*C+ ( depends from card ). So it's really hard to damage these new graphics cards.

I was concerned more about the motherboard than the GPU itself, I will go for extended testing for 1 month to reach that 1500mhz magic number 100% stable xD This GPU is very cold, the ACX 2.0 does a very good work

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I was concerned more about the motherboard than the GPU itself, I will go for extended testing for 1 month to reach that 1500mhz magic number 100% stable xD This GPU is very cold, the ACX 2.0 does a very good work
The motherboard doesn't really deliver power to the card... well, it does through the PCIe slot, but, any voltages changes will not harm the motherboard, period. As was said above, you can't kill NVIDIA GPUs with all their protections in place... nor will you kill a motherboard with it.

OP
BonaOver

BonaOver

Registered
The motherboard doesn't really deliver power to the card... well, it does through the PCIe slot, but, any voltages changes will not harm the motherboard, period. As was said above, you can't kill NVIDIA GPUs with all their protections in place... nor will you kill a motherboard with it.

If the power reaches de 124% power limit what does it do? It crashes? Lowers its clock? Because my temperatures doesn't go over 70C with 1500mhz

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You would need to mofify the BIOS to do so. And in that case, yes it does open you up to some risk for killing the card. But it depends on the card and the percent increase as to if it can damage it. For 99% of people, there no reason to modify the BIOS on your card.

OP
BonaOver

BonaOver

Registered
You would need to mofify the BIOS to do so. And in that case, yes it does open you up to some risk for killing the card. But it depends on the card and the percent increase as to if it can damage it. For 99% of people, there no reason to modify the BIOS on your card.

Thanks for the info