• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crashing in BF2, wtf?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soichiro

I recently built a computer for someone, and they have just sent me an e-mail saying Battlefield 2 keeps crashing on that computer. It tested Prime95 and Memtest86+ stable before I sent it off, and it's running at stock speed as far as I know. I don't believe anything came loose during shipping, or it probably wouldn't boot at all. I'm thinking it's probably a problem with Windows or Battlefield 2, although without being able to be there I can't be really sure of anything. The specs for the system are below:

300W Sparkle PSU (if it can get through hours of prime95, it can play bf2... :rolleyes: )
Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
Biostar NF4UL-A9 (yes that stands for nforce4 ultra)
2x1GB OCZ Performance DDR400
250GB WD SATA II Hard Drive w/ 8MB Cache
eVGA 7800GT 256MB PCI-E
Lite-On DVD Burner

Barret

Only during BF2? Can he play anything else? Have him check the windows system logs, other than that I'm currently out of ideas..

OP
Soichiro

Soichiro

I updated the motherboard and video card BIOS and all the drivers before sending it to him. Also, I just got this e-mail from him...
"We uninstalled and reinstalled a number of times and it was still crashing.
We also tried with and without downloading game patches. The problem seems
to relate to playing online.Sometimes it crashes when trying to get onto a
server, sometimes he can start playing but then it freezes after a few
minutes. We read a couple of BF2 chatroom strings and it would appear that
some people have ongoing problems with it and some don't but nobody seems to
have a definitive answer as to what the solution is."
So it seems it's just a problem with Battlefield 2. They'd better release another patch soon >.> Lol... Thanks for the help though.

DaWiper

Image Compare Man
I solved my crash/instant reboot problems by increasing the vdimm... Everything else ran fine, including prime/memtest/3dmark/etc. Had to increase from 2.7 to 2.8.

Feydd

Soichiro said:
300W Sparkle PSU (if it can get through hours of prime95, it can play bf2... :rolleyes: )

You don't understand the drain on the system when the vid card, sound card, CPU, and RAM are all sucking up the juice. I had to upgrade from a 300 to a 400 watt PSU when farcry would crash after 5-10 minutes. Get one with atleast 400 watts and that should solve the problem.