• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cray supercomps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

coaiti

Registered
I was checking out the cray website and it says it is cooled at 4kw per processor....wow! wasn't there a cray that was totally submerged in water.....I bet somebody could do that here with extreme modding. that would be cool to see.
Update:
I found some cool answers to my questions:
"The development of Cray cooling technology allowed each technology generation to increase the circuit board density. "Someone (perhaps Gary Smaby? I truly don't remember) once said that Cray Research was primarily a refrigerator company."
Cray-1: Single sided boards clamped to copper plates placed in aluminium racks that had cooling fluid in tubes.
XMP: Double side sandwich boards clamped to twin copper plates placed in aluminium racks which had cooling fluid in tubes.
Cray-2,3,4: Immersion cooling. The CPU and memory boards sat in a bath of electrically inert cooling fluid.
YMP, C90, T3d LC, T3e MC: Double-sided circuit boards clamped to hollow aluminium boards in which the cooling fluid circulated.
El,J90,T3eAC,SV-1: Blown air cooling.
T90: Immersion cooling. The CPU and memory boards sat in a bath of electrically inert cooling fluid.
So the main forms of cooling were conduction to external cooling, conduction to internal coolant, blown air cooling and total immersion cooling. There was some research done into sprayed coolant methods for J90 modules, reported in an internal technical symposium paper, but this did not make it into a publicly available product."
total immersion.....yum
I bet they use HUGE fans for the aircooling

hmm, submerged doesn't work. I tried it with antifreeze which doesn't conduct and it wouldn't even to it with the stuff pored over the board, much less subermerged. I really want to try this some more, I have no idea why it did not work though. I believe some crays and some IBMs use liquid N2 to cool them. They are sweet computers to have!

They use flourinet (or something like that). There is an article about it somewhere around here...

At least, I'm pretty sure it's around here. I just can't find it.

Back