• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thobel

Is the AE-9 much better than the sound card on the:

ASUS Rog maximus z790 hero

ROG SupremeFX 7.1 Surround Sound High Definition Audio CODEC ALC4082
- Impedance sense for front and rear headphone outputs
- Supports: Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
- High quality 120 dB SNR stereo playback output and 113 dB SNR recording input
- Supports up to 32-Bit/384 kHz playback"
Audio Features
- SupremeFX Shielding Technology
- ESS® ES9218 QUAD DAC
- Gold-plated audio jacks
- Rear optical S/PDIF out port
- Premium audio capacitors
- Audio cover

I'll guess the creative is better... but I'd suggest you look at specs and see in paper.

That said, unless you have some really good cans, I doubt you'd notice a difference. The codec on the hero is newest gen flagship.

Try the audio onboard, if it isn't good enough,get the creative.

I'll guess the creative is better... but I'd suggest you look at specs and see in paper.

That said, unless you have some really good cans, I doubt you'd notice a difference. The codec on the hero is newest gen flagship.

Try the audio onboard, if it isn't good enough,get the creative.
I have the HyperX Cloud Orbit S what I liked was the XLR mic connector on the breakout box. But it's confusing headset needs to be charged even while using 3.5mm wired. I feel like I bought the wrong headset for using with the sound card (already have)

The Z790 Hero has the makings of a great audio subsystem. Like the Dog said, try it first before spending on an add in audio card. Since you're using headphones, you have the best chance of noticing any suboptimal sound unlike cheap speakers.

My Gigabyte onboard sound was supposed to be really good and it ended up sounding like every other onboard sound. I don't use headphones and use a Edifier speaker setup. I was used to my AE-5 but have no room for it since getting a vertical gpu kit. I compromised and got the SoundblasterX G6. I can now know where people are in games like OW2 by their footsteps.

My Gigabyte onboard sound was supposed to be really good and it ended up sounding like every other onboard sound. I don't use headphones and use a Edifier speaker setup. I was used to my AE-5 but have no room for it since getting a vertical gpu kit. I compromised and got the SoundblasterX G6. I can now know where people are in games like OW2 by their footsteps.
The volume is to low on the motherboard sound cards. I ended up going with the AE-9 and I have no regrets.

Personally, I'd run a very nice DAC into a Schiit Syn. I've never much cared for 7.1 vs 5.1 channels. The nice thing about the Syn is you can run a really nice 2 channel sound card in front of it and let the sync work it's magic. A better DAC up front will likely boost sonics beyond 7.1 anyway in terms of richness, impact etc. I'd pair it with a discrete R2R DAC.

Is the AE-9 much better than the sound card on the:

ASUS Rog maximus z790 hero

ROG SupremeFX 7.1 Surround Sound High Definition Audio CODEC ALC4082
- Impedance sense for front and rear headphone outputs
- Supports: Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
- High quality 120 dB SNR stereo playback output and 113 dB SNR recording input
- Supports up to 32-Bit/384 kHz playback"
Audio Features
- SupremeFX Shielding Technology
- ESS® ES9218 QUAD DAC
- Gold-plated audio jacks
- Rear optical S/PDIF out port
- Premium audio capacitors
- Audio cover
I have both and what I noticed was the volume ls much higher with the Ae9 example I would have volume set at 40-50% using ae9 vs 90-100% on the supremFx

Yes but you will not notice much difference without a quality sound system and that includes good speakers. Wired everything or the capability of transmitting and receiving AptX HD

Yes but you will not notice much difference without a quality sound system and that includes good speakers. Wired everything or the capability of transmitting and receiving AptX HD
I would imagine someone buying a AE9 or ASUS Hero Motherboard is getting decent headsets

If going for a headset I would say you will get the same milage from a good creative USB based head set.
That has not been my experience usb headsets are definitely on the lower power scale in my experience.

Speakers I have been using the same Bose Companion 5 speakers for must be like 10-15 years now. But I’m mostly using headset

Back