• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crimson Driver not working on a 7970

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxslink

Hi
One day I turned on my PC to find a nasty surprise, the dreaded black screen of death, so i had to re formatt and install the OS again, all the drivers and then the latest amd crimson 15.2 driver , after rebooting then I find the same problem again, after windows logo the screen goes black and i cant do nothing about it, no matter how many different versions of the driver I try, the card wont work and the crash keeps happening :(
I even updated the Bios, tried different version of Windows, flashed the Bios, removed the card, cleaned it , put it back, etc, but sadly, so far nothing's worked. Im starting to think this is a hardware issue, either the Card or the Mainboard are doing something wrong, but i cant pinpoint which one is it nor what is the flaw. I will add a link to a thread I made on AMD forums where you can find more details on the story and Specs of my system. Any help will be appreciated
https://community.amd.com/message/2713969

Thick8

My 290s do the same thing. Luckily I ghost my drive every month onto a HDD just in case I should "F" something up. Which I do a couple of time a year. I even tried upgrading to Windows 10 but that didn't help either. I'm going to set my machine to stock values, do a fresh install of 8.1 then update to 10 and try again. If that doesn't work then screw it, I'll wait until I get a new GPU.

OP
F

Foxslink

i forgot to reply and tell you the good news, the problem was fixed thanks to another user who had the same issue, all i had to do was to disable the onboard Intel HD graphics from device management and everything back to normal. The driver i installed is Radeon Crimson 15.11, im really surprised it worked, i was going to try first the Catalyst one but didnt have to, maybe it would've worked as well.
But now I feel this driver is not very friendly with the GPU, maybe its intended for more recent cards, not for a 7970, would I notice a performance increase if I switch to an older Catalyst drive? Or maybe i should move to Win8 to have that extra perf over Win7, what do you think? thanks for your help

dangerouSoul

Hi
One day I turned on my PC to find a nasty surprise, the dreaded black screen of death, so i had to re formatt and install the OS again, all the drivers and then the latest amd crimson 15.2 driver , after rebooting then I find the same problem again, after windows logo the screen goes black and i cant do nothing about it, no matter how many different versions of the driver I try, the card wont work and the crash keeps happening :(
I even updated the Bios, tried different version of Windows, flashed the Bios, removed the card, cleaned it , put it back, etc, but sadly, so far nothing's worked. Im starting to think this is a hardware issue, either the Card or the Mainboard are doing something wrong, but i cant pinpoint which one is it nor what is the flaw. I will add a link to a thread I made on AMD forums where you can find more details on the story and Specs of my system. Any help will be appreciated
https://community.amd.com/message/2713969

Man i donwloaded the crimson 16.3.2 (3 days ago) and now i can only do safe boot with integrated hd graphics . My mobo vga led is always red when i have the gpu inserted and it doesn´t boot. Only black screen.
Maybe is the crimson issue don´t know for sure.

Zuzzz

Premium Member
Man i donwloaded the crimson 16.3.2 (3 days ago) and now i can only do safe boot with integrated hd graphics . My mobo vga led is always red when i have the gpu inserted and it doesn´t boot. Only black screen.
Maybe is the crimson issue don´t know for sure.

I have heard of people having issues when BOTH the integrated and discrete graphics are enabled. Try disabling the Intel graphics.

Z

dangerouSoul

I have heard of people having issues when BOTH the integrated and discrete graphics are enabled. Try disabling the Intel graphics.

Z

That is not the problem for me mate.. To long with it enabled.. I guess my gpu is dead =(. I had to ask a gpu to a friend to try if the pcie lane is good or if the card is broke ..