• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crimson drivers say they are upping your voltage: they may not be at all!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

Something I've just learked... VDDC is not the same as power control, power control is how much power (amperage) goes through your card, not voltage. Power control works fine, but Crimson drivers STILL don't change your VDDC when you change it with overclock software it seems, especially when sapphire trixx was the only way you could change your voltage before you installed crimson.

ignore below:

So I just found out that my crimson drivers, while they say they are modifying my "power control" or voltage, to +20% or whatever, but they're not doing anything at all!

If you download GPU-Z here https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ and run it, click the "sensors" tab and look at your voltage (VDDC) before and after you whip that "power control" slider around, if the voltage isn't changing then your crimson drivers aren't changing your voltage!

This is happening with me, i have a 7850, let me know if you're having problems too.

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I think that is a power limit, not voltage control...? I don't recall CCC or Crimson being able to raise voltage? I typically don't use Crimson to overclock anyway (MSI AB, etc), so... not 100% on that. I remember in CCC though it was a power limit, not voltage control.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
Power control deals with the overall power applied to the GPU, which does not mean that the core voltage is increased. I'm not sure as to where the power throttling occurs (pre or post DC-DC conversion) but I'm pretty sure its pre DC-DC conversion. This means that more current is allowed into the system as a whole, rather than voltage.

(DC-DC Conversion relates to the VRM and the all those power rails going into the core).

OP
blackjackel

blackjackel

Thanks guys, i previously thought power control was the same as VDDC, I guess seperate overclock software is what allows you to up your VDDC, u notice my VDDC current was increasing and decreasing when i raised and lowered the so it works, i wish i could delete this post because its misinformation.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
Change your OP to YATTA!!!! in multiple green colors, and someone from 2001 will delete the thread :)

OP
blackjackel

blackjackel

I solved my voltage woes by setting "legacy support module" to on in UEFI bios since i have a legacy card, that's what was stopping me before.