• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a RX 480. Wouldn't be hard to find another one now that the mining spike is on the down side. My daughter has my old FX rig, so a new 8350 and another RX 480 would set her up for 1080p WoW fun for quite a while. :D

Yep, you're a smart fellow, Neb. Maybe I need to, "look before I leap," as my mom used to tell me.

Well, I've been saying all a long that this Kaby Lake-X was just to hold me over until I got a Coffeelake or an i9. Now it looks like no Coffeelake-X for at least a year or I can get a 7920X right now. Quad channel memory and X16/X16 Crossfire here I come. Although, I'll surely miss the high clock speeds of this 7740X.

Intel 16 lane CPU with X8/X8 still whoops AMD 40 lane CPU with X16/X16, interesting.

EDIT: I got to thinking, WWND (What Would Nebulous Do)? Why, he'd wait until after the Oct. 5th release of the Coffeelake processors to see what might shake down. Maybe there will be some price changes when they upgrade the line-up? Ok, waiting a week sounds like a plan. Thanks, Neb!

Edit: some Coffee Lake info: http://fudzilla.com/news/processors/44582-intel-8th-gen-core-coffee-lake-cpus-officially-announced Those Coffeelakes will require a new motherboard. Six Core sounds like a great upgrade though.

early Coffeelake reviews: https://videocardz.com/73061/yet-another-core-i7-8700k-i5-8600k-review-posted-ahead-of-launch

Last edited:
I have a RX 480. Wouldn't be hard to find another one now that the mining spike is on the down side. My daughter has my old FX rig, so a new 8350 and another RX 480 would set her up for 1080p WoW fun for quite a while. :D

Sounds like a plan. I've seen a few people that already had a RX 480 (like you), then bought a RX 580 and crossfired them. That seems to work ok.

Sounds like a plan. I've seen a few people that already had a RX 480 (like you), then bought a RX 580 and crossfired them. That seems to work ok.

You can flash a 480 into a 580 btw; Also I wouldn't worry too much about the CPU or the PCIE lanes to be honest. It does not make a difference whatsoever; My benchmarks for Vega56 were done on a AGA which means it's only getting 4X PCI-E and it didn't affect the score at all. In fact the RX460 naturally only supports 8x so you're not missing out on anything.

Depending on how they're clocked they might end up being dangerously close to Vega. Vega needs memory bandwidth in the worst way and so it'll be interesting to see how these fare since they too are getting HBM2

Not sure about that- they might be just more than half the speed. Vega 56 and 64 both have 2 stacks of HBM2; These will likely only have one- they will use much less power, which might make them more overclockable, but they will also have a lot less shader cores and ROP -32 instead of 64. I think it will ideally be like the 7750 and 7850 was to the 7950 and 7970- still next generation but limited in terms of fewer transistors. Two Vega 56s is over 7000 shaders, whereas i think the 1080Ti has fewer than that. Of course the price is $200 more for a pair.

Not sure about that- they might be just more than half the speed. Vega 56 and 64 both have 2 stacks of HBM2; These will likely only have one- they will use much less power, which might make them more overclockable, but they will also have a lot less shader cores and ROP -32 instead of 64. I think it will ideally be like the 7750 and 7850 was to the 7950 and 7970- still next generation but limited in terms of fewer transistors. Two Vega 56s is over 7000 shaders, whereas i think the 1080Ti has fewer than that. Of course the price is $200 more for a pair.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_460_SLI/3.html

Using this as a source for my comparison since you've got 336 vs 448 vs 480 and this was the last time that I can think of where we had an incredibly advanced blazingly hot card that had issues scaling. and in almost every occasion two 460s overclocked were better than one 480 overclocked and a single 460 could quickly approach 470 territory without much effort.

The deal of the century was the RX 470 4GB. They OC'd to the bleeding edge of the 480 8 GB in most game benches and were (comparatively) dirt cheap. The early 480s didn't OC very well so a 470 would get you almost there. It's amazing how quickly that Golden Age passed. LOL

Back