• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

crossover cable or regular Cat5 cable when going from router to NICses???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssgohan434

Silicon Valley---> moved to Washington State
from NiC to NIC u use a crossover cable, but from routers to NICs u use a regular cable right? i dont wanna order the wrong cables. Also from a cable modem to a router u use a regular CAT5 cable right?

ty (newb to this corner of the woods)

edit: also what is the difference between a 350mhz cable and a 500mhz cable??? also what is the difference between a CAT6 cable and a CAT5 cable? also what is the difference between a CAT5e cable and a CAT5 cable????

also that is a lot of alsos.

tom kruze

Yes, to go from the router to your pc you use regular cable not crossover. As for the mhz cable beats me i have no idea about that stuff. Hope this helps.

tom kruze

DDR-PIII

Disabled
350 and 500Mhz, 350 is just for standard use, 500 is if you've got something that could push that data and recieve it too.

N

nerdlogic

Okay, your first 2 questions have been answered. Cat levels are just different degrees of shielding. Cat 5e is shielded better than Cat 5 and the same goes for Cat 6 to cat 5e. There have also been Cats 1, 2, 3, and 4 in the past...I believe the better Cats can also carry a signal better. I forgot what Cat was short for. *Runs for A+ book*

Chris

category 3 cable is only rated to 10Mbps and is basically no longer used, category 5 is what is most commonly used now as it is rated to 100Mbps cat6 will be next to take over IMHO as its rated at 1000Mbps