• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CRT gamer needs LCD buying help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

I have never used an LCD monitor for gaming,and was interested in buying one now that the response times have gone down.I want to go with at least a 19" LCD.I was seriously considering the Dell FPW2005 20.1" LCD,but I dont know if thats a good choice for games like Unreal Tournament 2k5.I need a monitor that wont render the game in choppy frames on my monitor.If you look at my sig,you'll see the system that I'll be using this monitor on.So, please reccommend LCD monitors based on my needs.Also, if I do go with a widescreen aspect monitor, will it cause compatibilty issues with any programs or games?What monitors (around the $500 range) would everyone suggest for gaming?Please also post and deals you might know of,and also feel free to tell me which monitor NOT to buy.Oh, and I figure a response time above 8ms is not worth the purchase,so please limit the reccomendations to 8ms or faster response time.Also, thanks in advance!

deception``

HeatM1ser2k4 said:
I have never used an LCD monitor for gaming,and was interested in buying one now that the response times have gone down.I want to go with at least a 19" LCD.I was seriously considering the Dell FPW2005 20.1" LCD,but I dont know if thats a good choice for games like Unreal Tournament 2k5.I need a monitor that wont render the game in choppy frames on my monitor.If you look at my sig,you'll see the system that I'll be using this monitor on.So, please reccommend LCD monitors based on my needs.Also, if I do go with a widescreen aspect monitor, will it cause compatibilty issues with any programs or games?What monitors (around the $500 range) would everyone suggest for gaming?Please also post and deals you might know of,and also feel free to tell me which monitor NOT to buy.Oh, and I figure a response time above 8ms is not worth the purchase,so please limit the reccomendations to 8ms or faster response time.Also, thanks in advance!

I have tried a number of LCD monitors before settling with the 2005fpw. Let me tell you this right now - I will never own another (a) CRT or (b) non-widescreen panel again.

Moving from a CRT, you will see some initial motion blur, but (for me) that was quickly alleviated by using Vsync. Afterwards, gaming on my panel is a smooth as it ever was on my CRTs...if not smoother.

Prior to my 2005fpw, I tried a handful of 8ms panels including the Hyundai L9D0+; while they were certainly good on the response end, the 6-bit panels were very unattractive to me, as gaming is but only one of my concerns and I am a stickler for color fidelity. I'd rather have 12ms with dead-on colors than 6ms/8ms/4ms with dithering.

I guess what I am trying to say is, in MY OPINION, the 2005fpw is an excellent and well-rounded choice. The only panel I would probably suggest over this is the 2405fpw (which I look to move to eventually), but I admittedly have obtained a huge bias for widescreen panels. Other panels you may want to consider would be the Viewsonic 930B, Viewsonic VX924, and the Samsung 940BF, to name a few.

deception``