• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial - Price/Performance ratio is AWESOME.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chasingapple

Hey all, I dont often post in the memory section cause I always know what im buying when it comes to memory...Crucial. I have built many many systems in the past and all of them have had Crucial memory in them and this is why...

Price - Crucial memory of course is sold directly by Crucial themselves, they make it they sell it...there is no middle man at all. And because most of thier business is conducted online they are able to bring those cost savings to the consumer.

Warrenty - Lifetime warrenty and the ability to cross-ship if you absolutely need memory fast. I have only ever had 1 bad module of Crucial and that was my powersupply dying and kicking a rather hefty amount of voltage at a few things in my computer, needless to say it took a motherboard, memory, and a videocard with it. This is a reason I love Crucial's warrenty...they sent me out another module fed-ex and when I got it it worked like a champ of course then I sent my defective one back no questions asked. NICE.

Stability - Crucial memory is usually clocked in CAS a little more relaxed when compared to other memory. But if you can find someone that can tell the difference between 2 / 2.5 / 3 Cas ratings while using the PC I will be completely impressed. Synthetic benchmarks like sandra are the only way to really tell the difference in Cas, so on this note I could care less, give me the stability!

Overclocking - Crucial memory overclocks VERY WELL. Yes I know it voids the warrenty, but when Im spending so little on the most stable memory out there I could care less.

Now, I spent a grand total of $65 on my 512MB Crucial PC2700 DDR 333mhz memory at newegg.com and it is rated at CAS 2.5 / 7-3-3. What I got out of this memory is impressive for the money! The furthest I can push it overclocked is 390Mhz!! Yes completely stable at 390mhz CAS 2.5 7-3-3. Not too bad for $65 memory! Once I do the big plunge into the world of the 865PE chipset I will order myself a pair of 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR 400mhz memory modules and clock em up as far as they can go, right now they are $85 a piece but will drop by the time I get em.

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know my history with Crucial and how much I recommend them. Here is a bench from sisoft sandra 9.44 while overclocked to 150 FSB on my P4 2.4Ghz C1 stepping chip. (my 24/7 overclock and rock stable).

memory.jpg

I agree, Crucial is pretty sweet. I have a stick of 128mb PC2100 that I bought for around 60-80 (I think) back in the day, and that was a sweet deal for the time. It still runs at 170fsb CAS2, and thats mobo limited!

I dont see why people are so intent on buying Cas 2 / 4-2-2 memory for the price they are paying...of course it is the fastest but a simple 5mhz overclock on the FSB compensates for those timings anyway...so why not just save some money for stable memory that overclocks VERY well with the timings at hand and go for a slightly higher FSB...and in the process you save alot of money. If you must have a heat spreader on the memory then buy it seperate (I DID) ;)

mem.jpg

So you recommend me getting 2x256MB of PC3200 Crucial memory, correct? I'm really taking your word on this one. :) And I'm planning on buying the same TT Heat Spreaders you have on yours.

AmBo said:
So you recommend me getting 2x256MB of PC3200 Crucial memory, correct? I'm really taking your word on this one. :) And I'm planning on buying the same TT Heat Spreaders you have on yours.

You cannot go wrong with Crucial memory period. It is fast, stable, and inexpensive. Take the extra money you save and put it towards a better heatsink, or a better videocard, or anything. It may not be the fastest memory money can buy, but the speed difference between it and say Corsair XMS memory will only be found in a synthetic benchmark like sisoft sandra, you will not and can not see the difference while using your computer.

Yeh I have a 250 mb DDR stick, it overclocks well for the price but Corsair is alot better for high end overclocking.

Thank You,
Daniel

Back