• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crummy Sandra2003 Hard Drive Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

venom9007

I saw a link for sandra 2003 in the software section of the forums and thought I'd check it out. After dl'ing and installing it I ran a couple of benchies and they were all decent, except for the hard drive one where I recieved a score of 21,000kb/s. I have a Western Digital 100gig 8mb cache, and according to the comparison benchmarks I should have had a much better score thatn that. Any clues to why the score was so low? I had basically nothing running in the background while I was doing the test. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. I was just reading Spec_Ops2087 thread ( http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136172 ) since he was experiencing low scores as well, but I thought there might be a difference since I'm running win2k. Well, any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

harddrive.jpg

Wam

I used to have the same problem. But then read that Sandra's hard drive bench program is not one of the most reliable. You are better off using HDTach 2.61 or Atto.

Funnily though, since I put my hard drives on seperate controllers the Sandra scores are where they should be 31,000+.

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
Wam said:
I used to have the same problem. But then read that Sandra's hard drive bench program is not one of the most reliable. You are better off using HDTach 2.61 or Atto.

Funnily though, since I put my hard drives on seperate controllers the Sandra scores are where they should be 31,000+.

Yep, your hard drive is fine...Sandra is what's crummy.

RnPgrosz

Defrag your drive. That made a huge difference for me in Sandra Benchs. I was getting scores similar to yours before the defrag but after my scores shot up and Sandra reported a 8ms seek time when it had been 9ms before.

macklin01

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Mode
I see you have an intel platform. Do you have the intel application accelerator? It's made to optimize I/O for PIII and above (and helps make sure you have UDMA5 in windows) I believe there are further P4 enhancements there, too, which you'll certainly want.

-- Paul

OP
venom9007

venom9007

Thanks for all the responses guys, makes me feel a lot better about spending the 130 bucks on this hdd. :D And macklin, thanks for the suggestion. I'll download it and try it out and see how it goes.

macklin01

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Mode
I hope it helps! :) -- Paul

Another neat feature: it enables acoustic management, if the drive supports it.