• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CryptoSlax Mining O/S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xsuperbgx

Benching Team Leader
I have been using crypto slax as a mining os. It has miners for cpu as well as all of the gpu mining programs. Scrypt, scypt-jane, vert, prime miner, pts and sha3.

***Update***
Cryptoslax64 0.3.1-beta1 is available to download from http://www.cryptoslax.web.id

new :
* sgminer (untested)
* heavycoin cpu miner (for 1gh.com : tested)
* cgminermonitor.com client
as .sb module, simply download, place it into [FLASHDRIVE:]/slax/modules
or on running slax, download with wget, and execute "slax activate /path/to/file.sb"
* fix some gnu screen issues
* better autostart system, simply chmod +x autostart-session.sh inside miner directory, to make it autorun after boot
* added apache+php+mysql for local web serving, for futher development of rig monitoring and control
* added google chrome browser

this is beta version, you know what it means, even on non-beta version i can't guarantee everything will work

Download Cryptoslax http://www.cryptoslax.web.id/
Use 7zip and extract files to thumbdrive.
navigate to "boot" directory on the thumb drive and run "bootinst.bat" file.
Download amd "od6config" module if you are using 290/290x (at bottom left of http://www.cryptoslax.web.id/) and copy the file "3371-od6config.sb" into the H:\slax\modules folder.

***Update***
I would recommend to download the chrome browser module and add to the modules folder as well.

Plug drive into mining computer and boot.

You can then start it up.
It will start up to a desktop.

click the bottom left, then go to cryptomining, then configure (at the bottom), then cgminer -s for normal scrypt mining.

snapshot1.png

Edit you conf file to your preferred settings and save.

snapshot2.png

Then click in the same area bottom left, choose cgminer-s in this case.
snapshot3.png

It should start.
snapshot4.png
For sgminer see note below!!!!

If you need to see card order for editing your config, then start a terminal window, then change directory to opt/miners/cgminer-opencl and type ./cgminer -n . This is also the directory of your normal cgminer for scrypt. Your config file is here too. It is "mining.conf" if you want to edit it.

****************************************************************************************************************************
Installing and running over putty.

For me, this will be used on a remote computer that has no monitor or keyboard. So I need the ip address so I can work on the rig with ssh or putty. I use putty because it is what I have used before and is already installed.

First, I go into my router and look at clients for a client named "SLAX" so I can see what the ip address is.

Then I start putty and type in the ip address. Login info is "root" for user and "toor" for the password.
Then start it up. You will be in terminal window.

terminal window.PNG

How I set up for regular scrypt mining:

Code:
cd /
cd opt/miners
cd *cl
./cgminer -n

That should tell you your card order for writing your config file.

Code:
nano mining.conf

conf edit.PNG
Use the text editor to type in your conf info.
Press "ctrl-o", then "enter" to save, "ctrl x" to exit back to terminal

To start cgminer:
Code:
  ./start.sh

Further instructions to leave program mining if you want to exit from putty. Thanks to Ivan.
Ivanlabrie said:
Easy, when you're about to start cgminer, do it from terminal ofc, using putty, do it like this:
Code:
 screen ./start.sh

Then hit control+a, followed by control+d to detach from the session without closing the miner. If you disconnect cgminer will keep running in the background.

To see it, ssh into the rig and type screen -r.

***Update***
To run you miner automatically:
simply chmod +x autostart-session.sh inside miner directory.
For example:
Code:
cd /
cd opt/miners/sgminer
chmod +x autostart-session.sh

For sgminer, you need to edit the start.sh file for it to properly work!!
**while in the sgminer directory, enter this:**
Code:
nano start.sh
Modify the last line of the file to this:
Code:
/opt/miners/sgminer//sgminer -c /opt/miners/sgminer/mining.conf

/opt/miners/sgminer//sgminer -c /opt/miners/sgminer/mining.conf

This is what I get with the above, untweaked and incomplete conf file. Gpus are pitcairn, hawaii and tahiti. Works that easy - no drivers or hassle. :). i don't know if 5000 series work or not. Probably not for nvidia, but I haven't tested.
cgminerrunning.PNG

********if you are on AMD and get an error when first booting*********
FYI, if you get an error during the first load of cryptoslax and it hangs, enable IMMOU in your BIOS, worked for me!
Thanks Luke1978.

Last edited:
If you start the miner and it immediately opens then closes the window, you probably have a spelling or punctuation error in the conf file. Watch for commas in the marked areas (last entries in a group) or missing brackets, quotation marks or colons.
Edit for clarity: You do not want commas in the marked areas!
conf.PNG

Edit: It seems that 5000 series cards are supported. I have a 5450 at 15kh!!

5454kh.PNG

Last edited:
Very nice! :D

I've been fiddling with it but couldn't get it to auto start mining yet.

Not sure what kind of scrypt jane miner it has either, I'd need to ask the dev to include an .sb file for yacminer or better yet, put it in his next release, along with sgminer 4.1.0 (it'd be much better than cgminer 3.7.2 forks).

Using Not Smos 1.3 by Bee currently, works like a charm but no 64bits for momentum and yac and cpu mining...only Max and VTC support alongside scrypt.

Not bad really, it'll do for now till cryptoslax is more polished.

Kalroth's would be nice. It does not have support for multiple thread values.
I have not tried anything other than the scrypt miner, yet.

Added some pictures and clarified instructions.
If anyone can tell me how to start up and run without having to keep putty open in my main computer or if anyone can tell me how to get it to start up automatically when the computer turns on, it would be helpful.

I input the boot so pay no attention to that, it sticks at / # on me... Could it be because my USB Mouse and keyboard are not supported?

Attachments

• b46dbc4c-8fb0-4106-988d-1968edd7522f.jpg
    b46dbc4c-8fb0-4106-988d-1968edd7522f.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 976
I input the boot so pay no attention to that, it sticks at / # on me... Could it be because my USB Mouse and keyboard are not supported?

Could be. This happened on my Raspberry Pi too. Just unplugged my mouse and it worked.

Added some pictures and clarified instructions.
If anyone can tell me how to start up and run without having to keep putty open in my main computer or if anyone can tell me how to get it to start up automatically when the computer turns on, it would be helpful.

Easy, when you're about to start cgminer, do it from terminal ofc, using putty, do it like this: screen ./start.sh (or whatever the cgminer start script is).

Then hit control+a, followed by control+d to detach from the session without closing the miner. If you disconnect cgminer will keep running in the background.

looks sweet. but until there are better remote controls, ill be sticking to cgremote/win64.

What do you mean?

Linux has way better remote stuff...

Mobile miner paired with cgmobileadapter works like a charm.
Anubis for farm management and pool manager.

That + BAMT or Smos and you're golden. Way better than Windows.

Crypto slax has the potential to be even better than BAMT though.
Just need more bundled monitoring, auto start scripts and stuff...already buggered the dev about that, he seems like a nice guy :D

Easy, when you're about to start cgminer, do it from terminal ofc, using putty, do it like this: screen ./start.sh (or whatever the cgminer start script is).

What do you mean?

Linux has way better remote stuff...

Mobile miner paired with cgmobileadapter works like a charm.
Anubis for farm management and pool manager.

That + BAMT or Smos and you're golden. Way better than Windows.

Crypto slax has the potential to be even better than BAMT though.
Just need more bundled monitoring, auto start scripts and stuff...already buggered the dev about that, he seems like a nice guy :D
spoke too soon, I guess i didnt really research it. Ill look into it, might be better in the long run.

I was reluctant to use it as well but after having to deal with 3 rigs, with win 8 I can tell you you'll love the kernel.panic = 20 flag, as well as watchdog/softdog (gotta install/configure these yourself, but they make your rig immortal mwahaha...auto reboots on crashes). :D

New cryptoslax beta out...comes with a few nice goodies, like cgminermonitor.com's client and autostart scripts.

Really good, let's hope it works.

As for your card, are you using a monitor? does it load the x desktop?

Yes, I am using a monitor. It does go to the desktop, but with generic driver loaded and in a default 1280x1024 resolution. The monitor is 1920x1200 and that does not show at all when I view the display properties.

I removed the 5570 and set the bios for internal nVidia, then booted. Drivers for the nVidia do load and the resolution is 1920x1200.

Put the 5570 back in but left bios set for internal nVidia as default monitor. Booted again, and drivers for the 5570 do not load.

I have no idea how to remove and reinstall drivers for linux. I did download the linux x86_x64 driver from AMD, but there are no instructions or even a readme file.

The last time I did much with linux was in 1994 and I remember very little.

I will obtain the CryptoSlax beta version and see if maybe that flies. However, if anyone can tell me what I might do about this on the non-beta version, I'll give it a go.

Ran it without 'sudo'. aticonfig says "-a" is bad option.

So, I ran "aticonfig --initial", which did whatever it does and then I restarted the system. I ran "./cgminer -n" from the proper directory. Driver still not installed.

I'm keeping this USB and going to continue with any other suggestions. At the same time, I'm going to try the beta. If the beta turns out to be fine, I'll go with that.

So far, thanks for the help.

[edit]

Beta version isn't loading the 5570 driver either.

Last edited:
Back