• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Curiosity...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OkydOky

Looking at all the stickies, that touch on this, they are all rather old..

What currently the best motherboard for overclocking a pair of s940 Opterons.

Also what is the registered RAM that overclocks the best?

For the motherboard I would have to say a K8N-DL is hard to beat however no registered ram really overclocks well so I would say that it does not matter IMO

Any NF4 dual board will OC, I don't know which one is best though. Smaller and cheaper boards like the K8N-DL are an MSI model and the Tyan Tiger K8WE. Bigger, EATX boards out there are the Tyan Thunder K8WE and Supermicro H8DCE. All of the OCing is done through the nVidia software, not through the BIOS.

I don't know much about the reg. DDR, but Corsair would be my first place to look, followed by OCZ (I think they have some modules out there).

The K8N-DL is the "overclockers" board.. It is cheap, and it can clock.. Problem is, there are a lot of smaller problems with it.. No BIOS overclocking is a big one - there are also a lot of inefficiencies and thigns like that that make the board less desireable however.

The Tyan is better, but it costs way more. Supermicro makes a board (although its not supported - its an OEM to someone..) that seemed pretty decent..

Opteron boards are kinda stuck right now.. its not like it was with the Xeon where there were standout boards (PC-DL and DH800).. we're stuck with a bunch of NCCH-DL's :- ]

perfectturmoil said:
The K8N-DL is the "overclockers" board.. It is cheap, and it can clock.. Problem is, there are a lot of smaller problems with it.. No BIOS overclocking is a big one -

I'm confused; does the K8N-DL have an o/s based "overclocking" utility?

Clockgen :- ]

And NVidia Ntune works I think..

AND Cronos from 2cpu was able to create a software overclocking utility for LINUX! wow!

The board would be great right now if they fixed the PCI-mapping problem (supposedly leaves an inefficiency somewhere in the system.. its the one thing that hasn't been solved yet) , and realeased a bios with a properly working PCI-PCIe lock.

In all of my watching Opteron stuff, I have not heard much about the MSI. I remember a lot of people waiting for it, hoping that it would be good... when the K8N-DL showed up, and people were first finding problems, one common post was "well, I guess I'm gonna wait for the MSI". Since then, all I've heard were problems with the Asus.. not really any great stuff about the MSI.. but that might just be me.. especially cause I have an asus sitting in my room waiting to be put together ;- ]

There was another MSI board with a via chipset.. that one works great at stock speeds (from what I hear anyways). Maybe you can be the first to try this board out and tell US how it is ;- ]

Last edited:
Back