• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Current PC > Where should I upgrade first?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I like 144Hz 1080p with 144FPS for no blur in gaming and my GTX 1070 is not enough I need more. I have to run BF1 medium setting for 144FPS.

If you're staying at 1080p IMO the 1060/480 is enough. If you plan to ever go higher/higher refresh rate, 1070/equiv or higher for sure. I'm on 1440p with a 1070. The 1060 would likely do the job for me to be honest but I decided to ball out on a 1070 instead so I can hopefully keep it for a long time. XD

1070 at least is less of a value-segment and more of a somewhat high-end architecture.

Are you serious? 1080p. I average about 125 fps on bf1 at 1440p with a 1080. I had a 1070 for about 2 weeks before I decided to get my 1080 and tbh it probably wasn't worth the additional 300$ The 1070 is a beast I don't understand why you have to play on med settings. The jump from 60 fps to 100 are very noticeable. Even to 120. Beyond that there really isn't much to see. To me it is never worth scaling my graphics down to improve frame rate if I'm 80 or above to begin with. That's my reasoning for spending so much money on a gpu is so I can play on ultra. That's the reason I play on PC instead of console. It's about preference but I mean ya maybe a 1070 isn't enough for 144 fps at 1080p. Just sounded surprising at first but I would think on ultra settings you'd surely get at least 100. You have to I get more at 1440p. Anyway, The 1070 is the best value especially when you get one on sale for under 400$ I used it on 1440p with well over 60 fps on everything I played except for probably the division, it's hard to keep it at 90 now but IMO if you're on a budget the 1060 will be fine but the chances of you going thru this same thing again in a year are extremely high. At least with a gtx 1070 you'll be set at 1080p for years, even for a couple at least on 1440p.

I think a 1070 is just fine for 1440p. I also notice between you and Wingman you have an i7, he an i5. As I understand BF1 does take advantage of (but not limited by) the i7/hyperthreading so perhaps that's a factor (though I can't see it being THAT big an impact..)

There is a big difference from minimum FPS of 90 to 144, I can swing fast side to side and see without blur for the win in first person shooters. My gaming has improved so much going with 144FPS from before at 90FPS. The i5 6600k does just fine with gaming.

Last edited:
Some people care more or are more sensitive to refresh rates than others. I am personally with wingman, but for a "60 fps minimum", a 1070 is overkill for 1080p. For "144+ fps", the 1070 starts to struggle a bit. In overwatch and bf1, you aren't maxing the game out and getting over 144 fps, even on a "measly" 1080p screen.

Judging by the op, an rx 480 would probably be a good route for him to take, especially with the budget.

Note : for gaming on 1440p or even 4k, the 1070 is admirable for what we shall call "cinematic frame rates".

Battlefield one no absolutely not. Overwatch? I was getting a constant 120+ at 1440p with a gtx 1070 playing Overwatch. That game is far less graphically demanding than bf1. I don't even put it anywhere in the same category. Doom, Titanfall 2, Battlefiled one, those are Graphically intensive. Ya the rx 480 was the first thing I recommended to him. I would for sure get that over the gtx 1060. I like high refresh too I'm just not going to lower my settings unless im dropping under 100 fps competitive 60 single player. And I still got over 85 fps at 1440p with a gtx 1070 on those above listed games.

Battlefield one no absolutely not. Overwatch? I was getting a constant 120+ at 1440p with a gtx 1070 playing Overwatch. That game is far less graphically demanding than bf1. I don't even put it anywhere in the same category. Doom, Titanfall 2, Battlefiled one, those are Graphically intensive. Ya the rx 480 was the first thing I recommended to him. I would for sure get that over the gtx 1060. I like high refresh too I'm just not going to lower my settings unless im dropping under 100 fps competitive 60 single player. And I still got over 85 fps at 1440p with a gtx 1070 on those above listed games.

My 1440p is 108hz, and theres a huge huge huge difference for me in response time and visceral improvement in "feel" when I step "down" into 1080p 144hz. 90fps on epic settings on overwatch was about right, but I never got 120+ at all times.

Considering budget is limited at the moment, I'm locked at 60fps for max resolution. I have done a quick refresh rate overclock to see what my monitors are capable of, however, they capped at 75 hz on one, and 63 on the other. in my opinion, the difference between 60 and 75 is indecernable(if that's a word), and not worth the risk of killing a panel I cannot afford to replace atm. the rx480 8gb is currently the winner because the xfire capability, though, I'm curious about physx. I haven't been Amd since my old Athlon Xp system that got 3.0 ghz oc, There is a lot I don't know about it. Also recommended brands. 😉

https://m.newegg.com/product/index?itemnumber=N82E16814137048 Saw this great deal on newegg. If it is still around, is this something you guys would recommend? I know MSI is known for great gpus, but I'm unsure if this one is worth it.

Also, if not, I may buy from best buy to eliminate shipping. is XFX a good brand?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-har...ess-3-0-graphics-card/5550001.p?skuId=5550001

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-cus...ess-3-0-graphics-card/5446220.p?skuId=5446220

Saw these two, but idk about brand.

Last edited:
Absoultely. Take the 480 over the gtx 1060 any day hands down. XFX is what my friend has, I have no experience with the brand but he loves his XFX 480 8gb. MSI makes good Gpu's yes. They are known for having great after market coolers. I would just get which ever one turns out to be the cheapest RX 480 8gb in the end.

Alright. The Day of purchase is tomorrow! I've already decided to go ahead with it.

Final Questions:

For my case, the Corsair Air 540, What kind of cooler would perform better? The blower type, or the Dual fan type? I have 3 120 mm fans intake in the front, two 140mm fans on top, and one 140mm fan in rear all in exhaust setup.

I'm going to buy from best buy, which limits me to two choices. They changed the model number on the 289 one to prevent price matches.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-cus...ess-3-0-graphics-card/5446220.p?skuId=5446220

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-har...h-white-led-backlight/5550001.p?skuId=5550001

I'll need to buy a Display port to HDMI cable to go with the cheaper one, so really not much of a price difference. Only have HDMI inputs on my monitors, much to my dismay. I have a DVI to HDMI cable, Which is what I'm using now.

Last edited:
Doom graphically intensive ? I hit the 200fps hardcap with a 980ti, was doing average 180fps/190fps max settings 1080p ;)

I wouldn't personally buy a reference model AMD card... Go the dual fan model.

I see that it comes with LED fans. White. My case color theme is orange! BUUUT, they can be swapped out with other fans apparently!! I'll see how it looks in my case and decide from there if I have to drop another $20

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...=XFX_Hard_Swap_Fan_Kit-_-14-998-136-_-Product

OR I may just check some other local places to see what they have for the RX 480 8gb cards. Yeah, That sounds like a plan lmao. I don't like such a tiny selection to choose from just because I want to use some cash and not wait 5-7 days for it to arrive instead of dropping it on my card lmao

Will do. Doing some research on nvidia driver removal to switch while I wait for it to get here.

it's here! Now, i just need to go to my nephews first birthday party, and then pics will come when I get home:)

Back