• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Built Notebook?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheOneDonRamon

Registered
Hi all I was thinking of making a custom built notebook.Like buying the notebook itself with nothing in it..maybe a mobo..then adding everything.Iv never owned a laptop but i build my own computers.Has anyone done this?Would u recommend it than going out and buying a alienware or dell?Also i ask this because im going to FULLSail and we get our laptops next month and that money comes out of our tuition.I think its about $2000-2500.They handed out 1.6p4,256mb,gf4,dvdr..and whatever else was on it.I dont want a p4 or 256mb ddr on winxp thats just garbage..i would hafta spend even more money to get another 256 stick!Would rather have a athlon in there too..well thanks for ur help....

Jeff Bolton

well i can't believe i'm the first to say this, but its not possible to build your own laptop. you'll have to deal with whatever the school gives you. you can upgrade memory later. and a p4 will be better...my friend owned an athlon laptop and it was nothing but problems. overheated all the time, and less than a year later its almost dead.

jeff

Mr. Chambers

Jeff Bolton said:
well i can't believe i'm the first to say this, but its not possible to build your own laptop. you'll have to deal with whatever the school gives you. you can upgrade memory later. and a p4 will be better...my friend owned an athlon laptop and it was nothing but problems. overheated all the time, and less than a year later its almost dead.

jeff

and thats amd's fault... how? i'm not going to get into a chip holy war, but i will say that your friends overheating problem has nothing to do with the amd chip, its the manufactures problem for not dealing with the heat adequately.. these notebooks are tested to be ran under heavy load, i would say he just bought a crap unit, or purchased it from a bad company.. my grandmother has been using a duron 1ghz notebook for over a year and half, leaves it on 24/7 and i even have folding on the thing, and it still works great, other than the occasional virus.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
TheOneDonRamon said:
Hi all I was thinking of making a custom built notebook.Like buying the notebook itself with nothing in it..maybe a mobo..then adding everything.Iv never owned a laptop but i build my own computers.Has anyone done this?Would u recommend it than going out and buying a alienware or dell?Also i ask this because im going to FULLSail and we get our laptops next month and that money comes out of our tuition.I think its about $2000-2500.They handed out 1.6p4,256mb,gf4,dvdr..and whatever else was on it.I dont want a p4 or 256mb ddr on winxp thats just garbage..i would hafta spend even more money to get another 256 stick!Would rather have a athlon in there too..well thanks for ur help....

Here are some tips...
1. Please use line breaks and single periods. I have to read through your message four times to understand what the heck you are talking about
2. In order for me to give you a helpful suggestion I need to know what this laptop will be used for.
3. I couldn't tell, but do you have a maximum price for how much you want to spend on it?

Fluxer

Dell makes exceptional laptops. Buy one from them and you'll have a fast portable computer with no hassles. :burn:

If you buy a laptop from Dell, buy one with a mobile processor, even though they cost more. This article from Tom's hardware (completely objective) shows how a specific model of laptop from Dell, using a desktop processor, only runs at half speed when not plugged into the wall (i.e. when using the battery). Definitely don't get that one, otherwise, the rest are good :)

Also, Intel Pentium 4's tend to be better suited for laptops than AMD chips purely because they run cooler and consume less power (allowing for longer computer usage in battery mode etc.).

Jeff Bolton

Mr. Chambers said:

and thats amd's fault... how? i'm not going to get into a chip holy war, but i will say that your friends overheating problem has nothing to do with the amd chip, its the manufactures problem for not dealing with the heat adequately.. these notebooks are tested to be ran under heavy load, i would say he just bought a crap unit, or purchased it from a bad company.. my grandmother has been using a duron 1ghz notebook for over a year and half, leaves it on 24/7 and i even have folding on the thing, and it still works great, other than the occasional virus.

yeah it was a HP laptop from best buy. i didn't mean it was amd's fault, and i wasn't trying to say p4s are better than athlons. i've owned and will own both processors again. i'm basically saying that in my opinion a p4 would be better for a laptop because it just doesn't produce as much heat as an athlon so you don't have to worry that much about it.

i can see how it would come off as i was trying to imply that intel is better than amd, but heaven forbid, no, i wasn't. you're right, HP is a piece of crap company for the most part, and i'm sure the overheating was their fault.

either way, there isn't any way for him to build a laptop so thats all that matters.

jeff

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
Jeff Bolton said:
i can see how it would come off as i was trying to imply that intel is better than amd, but heaven forbid, no, i wasn't. you're right, HP is a piece of crap company for the most part, and i'm sure the overheating was their fault.
It's true. Intel CPUs are simply a simpler option for tight space situations. I personally would never fork down the money for a laptop and would simply opt for paper or a tablet device if I needed to input data while on-the-go.

Laptops simply don't appeal to me for several reasons. But I research them because my purchase advice is asked on a frequent basis.

The most important question remains.
What will be the main uses for this machine and where will it be going to and from?